1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Not sure

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by AceCake, May 2, 2012.

1. Hello, I am new to this forum

I completed my PGCE in 2010 and have been poorly with a bad back throughout my teaching career so I havent done my NQT year and just done a few days on supply. It took me 3 years to do my PGCE as I started in 2007 had to postpone cos of my back then managed to get well enough to complete 2010. I now fit as a fiddle and I am sending in my first ever applications! As I am gaps galore how do I explain my gaps in a positive way. I Also noticed you recommend NQTs to put their PGCE placements in the employment bit, mine have massive gaps between them so what do I do? Would is be a good idea not to?

Thanks so much for your time

2. Hello, I am new to this forum

I completed my PGCE in 2010 and have been poorly with a bad back throughout my teaching career so I havent done my NQT year and just done a few days on supply. It took me 3 years to do my PGCE as I started in 2007 had to postpone cos of my back then managed to get well enough to complete 2010. I now fit as a fiddle and I am sending in my first ever applications! As I am gaps galore how do I explain my gaps in a positive way. I Also noticed you recommend NQTs to put their PGCE placements in the employment bit, mine have massive gaps between them so what do I do? Would is be a good idea not to?

Thanks so much for your time

3. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I'm keen to know the answer to this too as I forgot to mention I was an NQT in my post which is similar to yours. Feel free to have a look at it. I too have gaps in my PGCE placements as I did them over 2 years due to personal reasons so I dont want to put my placements down as I spent soooo long out of work waiting for them to arrive the gaps make me look lazy on paper. When I was told a placement would be 'anyday now' throughout half of the year!

Sorry to hear about your back btw and I'm glad its fixed!

4. Applications are evil arent they?

Hope it goes well for you!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

With all issues that look unusual on paper, you need to clear the air to get them out of the way.
    So write a short, very short, paragraph in your letter, along the lines of:
    Despite suffering health problems, I nonetheless completed my PGCE successfully, and now that thers problems have been definitely solved and I am in perfect health, I am looking forward to beginning my NQT induction and working to support pupils in achieving their very best.
    You can put the placements, but you don't have to, as strictly speaking they are not employment. So leave them out if you prefer.
    Don't forget to read all the advice: here's a summary, read post 3:
    Am I doing enough?
    Best wishes

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I was told by an NQT pool once that my bitty work history might be frowned upon by schools. However, no-one ever mentioned it to me at all so it seems people weren't as bothered as I, or the NQT pool people, were!