1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - not sure what to do.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Nov 3, 2011.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Hi, well I'm back from my cancelled Supply day (Got there at 6.45am[​IMG]. Anyway, have been thinking about things and don't really know what to do!
    Saw a job for an MFL teacher sort of close to where I live. This is what I am trained in. However it is primary teaching that I want to do (Yes I do know this is like going backwards, and how hard it is to get in). I have however had some Primary School interviews. I don't hate Secondary teaching, but I LOVE primary, and this is what I am doing at the moment. Anyway I'm just wondering whether I should apply or not? I know I probably wont even get an interview. I am in two minds about it. Plus mmy references are now in Primary.
    Any advice/opinions would be appreciated. Think I'm thinking too muc about things atm!
    Thanks[​IMG] x

2. I would advise you to apply and make it good. Jobs are very hard to come by and whilst you would prefer Primary, taking a job in Secondary then would look good for future Primary applications. I have applied for both sectors and I will take the first one that is offered. I'm not picky!!!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

[​IMG]
    As to the job application, go for it. I'm trained MFL but spent my 'career' in Middle and Primary and I just apply for anything and everything.Put an application in - they might not invite you to interview after all and take it from there.
    Depends how much 'income' you need, but it seems to be easier to get a job when you're in employment rather than 'unemployed'But unless you keep your hand in in Primary (doing some outreach work perhaps?), wouldn't like to estimate your opportunities to get in to Primary.
    Best of luck whatever you decide.

4. BOO!! Sorry to hear that
    I am a very firm believer in if you don't try you'll never know. So.....Give it a go. What's the worst that could happen? YOU GET A JOB!!
    S4mm13
    xx