1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... not sure what I need to do to get to interview!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, May 19, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm not 100% sure that I understand this - you start your post saying that you have just had an interview, and then you say that you never get to interview.
    I can't get my head round this one, you say several times that you are having interviews, then that you are not.
    If what you mean is that you never get appointed from an interview, then you need to open the Welcome thread and read the Interview Tips inside there - full of good advice!
    Best wishes for the next one - you clearly have a lot to offer a school and have done exceedingly well to get interviews.
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

2. Basically I get to the first part of the interview stage, teach a lesson, do the tour, then don't get put through for the panel interview stage. I got told that my lesson was good, my application is good and I'm just getting frustrated. I don't understand what else they want if I get told it's all positive?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's interesting that so many of your interviews - if not all - have been in this two-stage format, as it is not that common.
    Well, if you are eliminated after the lesson and the tour, then those are the clincher. You have to remember that this is a competitive scenario. If your lesson is Good, but other candidates are Good with some Outstanding features - or straight Outstanding - then they will win. It's a competition.
    I have recommended this book before - available from Amazon UK
    [​IMG] Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I bought that book after you recommended it at the seminar last weekend. I'd always ignored it before as being totally against everything I believe in. If it isn't good enough for an observation then it isn't good enough for every day has always been my way of thinking. But hey the wise Theo can't be totally wrong, I thought, and so bought the book still slightly expecting to be appalled. But actually it is a fab book and has some great tips for everyday teaching to make lessons better, observation or not. Yes there are some bits where any good teacher will surely think 'Well Duh!', but also lots of fab ideas.

I gave a copy to an NQT that I mentor today aswell...already an amazing teacher, but hey ho we can all learn.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I just wish that I had shares in it - I recommend it all the time - and even occasionally lend my copy out to someone with an upcoming interview and no time to buy!
    I also actually enjoy reading it . . . often flick through it on the train.
    Best wishes

I
    appreciate.

I
    appreciate.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL it is an enjoyable read.

Even the 'trash it' parts...is it bad that it sometimes makes me feel rather smug?

7. Hi Theo,
    Interesting you say this format isn't common of teaching then being taken through to the interview - all the interviews I have been to this year and last year have been in this format. Only been asked not to stay once but the ICT fell apart at the start of the lesson and it all went downhill afterwards - I can laugh now but wasn;t amused at the time :)

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tends to be Leadership posts that do this - eliminating people half-way through.

I
    appreciate.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

9. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I've been to two interviews, the first made no cut after the lessons but the second interview cut 5 candidates down to 3 for the interview panel.
    In some ways I like it because they are not wasting peoples time or giving them false hope but I also think that getting through to interview is good experience of answering questions and after 2 unsuccessful interviews, I feel much more prepared for my forthcoming third one next week.
    Interestingly in my last interview my lesson was rated good and I was told I gave the best lesson. But I came second in the actual interview and they told me they put more weighting on that. Where as when I got feedback from my first interview they told me that they had made a decision about who they wanted after the initial interview lessons because her lesson was outstanding and so the interview held little weighting. So I think it depends on the school.

10. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Forgot to mention-pimp my lesson is a great book. It has made me think more about how wide afl and differentiation can be and I feel much more confident to draw on examples if asked about this at interview.
    I love the example lesson plan too, it has made learning objectives and outcomes much clearer.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have recommended this book before - available from Amazon UK. Might boost your confidence to read this and think I do that!
    [​IMG] Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.