1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - not getting interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by amy_bryce, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I strongly suspect there is something wrong with my job applications. Recently I applied for about 10 jobs and did not get invited to a single interview. I'm a secondary teacher in Scotland and have been doing supply work for the last 6 years. I am a late entrant to the profession (in my 40's) and am now at the top of the payscale for classroom teachers. Might my age and expensive salary be counting against me?
    I have spotted some jobs I would like to apply for (Support For Learning) but feel it will be pointless applying for them without firstly getting some advice on improving my application forms. I am qualified to teach Art and Design but would love to move into Learning Support . . . . . before entering teaching I worked for a few years as a classroom assistant in Behaviour and Learning Support and I loved it, but I'm not sure what to say about this. Will it be viewed as relevant and valid experience?
    I just don't know how to sell myself outside of my subject as I haven't even succeeded at selling myself within my subject.
    Any help and advice would be great. I just don't know what to do or where to go.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Anyone not getting interviews falls in to one of 3 categories, I reckon. Or even into more than one of them.
    1) You are applying for the wrong jobs with your experience and qualifications - a NQT applying for a HoD, for example, or someone only ever taught Geography applying for job to teach History, or a Secondary-trained and experienced teacher applying for Primary. With large numbers of applicants, schools will not consider these unless you can make a very good case for yourself.
    2) You are too expensive. Schools have tight budgets and may reject those high up the scale.
    3) You are not selling yourself, your application is not presenting your strengths.
    Age is illegal, but salary may well be against you.
    A bit relevant and a bit valid - if you can actually present it as so. Say how, as a teacher, you can capitalise on this earlier experience, use your skills to support pupils, etc. etc. Go to the Learning Support Forum and browse around there, ask a few questions. They will know better than I what you need.
    If you are in Scotland I may not be able to help you too much - there amy be a standard form that I don't know about.
    But do read the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread at the top of this Forum, and also read this:
    Dear Theo- Applications and Interviews- Feel like I've hit a brick wall
    Very best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

3. Thanks for getting back to me. I strongly suspect it's No.3. No.2 is a maybe and it's definitely nothing to do with applying for the wrong jobs . . . . . not yet, anyway.
    I will. Good idea.
    There is. The jobs must be applied for through a portal called My Job Scotland. I have saved all my answers in a word document. Generally the questions are the same for each job; Personal and Professional Development, Curriculum Development, Resource Organisation, Relationships with Pupils, Communication Skills.
    I've read them over and over again these last few months.
    Can you do this by email or is it too impractical?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't do this, but I think that some people in the team do e-mail and telephone work. I think I would be no good at this, so don't offer it.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation and she'll tell you what can be done to help you.
    Good luck.
    It may all come out well in the end!_____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Got that address wrong!
    advice@tsleducation.com
    Oops!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

6. Thanks. I will email Juila. I really am just floundering around, hoping that I'm doing things correctly and never being able to get feed back, on why my application was not up to scratch, due to the automated nature of the portal.
    I really do hope it all works out in the end.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Me too! Very best wishes.

8. Thank you, Theo. I also posted to John on the Career Clinic forum. I am very, very aware that it's a buyers market out there and that schools/LAs are shopping canny. My next port of call is the application review service. I have to make sure that my applications are the best they possibly can be and apply for the latest batch of jobs, before I give up on teaching. It's not going to be financially feasible to remain in teaching on the new reduced rates of pay for supply teachers. So sad.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Indeed. Very sad, and very daft. All those people wanting to teach . . . so keen to help kids . . . but no jobs.