1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo...Not enough experience

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sillow, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I can't offer any advice but just sympathy. I've been looking at jobs with a TLR but I don't have any experience in the education world of leadership, so I try to boost leadership I've done elsewhere on my form but then it seems that my lack of leadership in a school environment is putting potential employers off. I've no hope of getting LT experience in my school as all the positions are filled and no-one's budging!
    How can I get experience without someone taking a chance on me? It does my head in!
    Good luck with it and I hope the right job comes along for you soon!

2. Thank you!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would take some of the feedback about 'not enough experience' as just something to say which seems reasonable.Especially as they actually interviewed you, so on paper you 'looked good'.
    A real disappointment for you however.
    I don't suppose it<u> is</u> anything to do with 'looking young', but could you change your hairstyle, wear different interview clothes to make you 'look the part of a manager'?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They knew how much experience that you have when they shortlisted you . . .
    So that's not a good reason. But feedback is often just something that they say to get you off their back!
    So:
    • Make sure that your executive summary emphasises clearly, with evidence, your achievements.
    • Make sure you have a clear mindmap for interview (see MM's advice in the Interview clickables) about your experience, so that it comes out
    • Dress like a deputy Head, not like a teacher.
    Best wishes

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's also possible that they saw how young (in teaching experience terms) you were, but thought you did a very good application and wanted to take a look at you. It may be that your inexperience comes out in your answers as a lack of enough teaching and/or leadership experience to develop your answers fully and the only answer is to work for a couple more years and then apply again for such roles.
    A lot of ambitious young teachers feel they are ready to step up - but don't see that their answers at interview lack the depth that a slightly more experienced teacher can give.

6. I have also seen experienced teachers passed over for someone with potential...you never know. You are getting interviews so keep trying and good luck [​IMG]

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Will PM you x