1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, 'normal' leaving procedure..

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by daisy1603, Jan 8, 2016.

1. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

Dear Theo,

I am employed as a teacher in a school (although am currently on sick leave) and have decided that it is time for me to move on to another school. I have been looking online at other jobs and found a couple that could potentially be suitable but am unsure of the procedure to follow with regards to handing in my notice, going to interviews at other schools while still employed etc. In what 'order' do things need to be or are usually done?

The situation is complicated by my being on sick leave in that I am unable to go into school to tell the Head I am looking for employment elsewhere. Would it be ok to email? Or telephone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry that you are unwell, and hope that your period at home will enable you to recover.

Yes, you certainly need to contact your Head. E-mail or phone, whichever you feel most comfortable with. I would suggest e-mail, as you will need to get permission to go to interviews while on sick leave. See the ATL document I am attaching below. If your Head e-mails back that this is OK, you have written proof of it. It can also be less stressful to draft an e-mail at your leisure rather than speak on the phone.

Do read these articles from the Professional Advice Hub for starters.

Get ready for the application season!

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

Leaving dates and resignation dates

Do you know how to find the rest of them? tag me @TheoGriff if not and I'll show you.

With best wishes for your health and your job search

Attached Files:

3. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

@TheoGriff thank you very much for the advice and articles, they are much appreciated. Just wondering, how do you go about telling your head you are looking for employment elsewhere? Do you need to give reasons? Thanks again in advance.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, you don't need to, but it is possible that you will be asked. So get in first with your reasons!

And always start with something positive about the school. Read again the advice in the link above. I'll repeat it here

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

best wishes