1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Non-teaching Application Forms

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Clarys, Jul 11, 2011.

1. I know you're here really to advise about scoring that teaching job BUT time is moving on and there are none in my subject coming up so I'm looking to apply for a TA post at a local high school.
    On the Employment Record bit of the application form it's asking me to tick if I have worked in local government before - do I do this for my teaching posts where I was employed by the county council or not? I'm a bit confused because the only other TA role I applied for recently was internal so an application form wasn't needed.
    Thanks
    Clarys

2. I know you're here really to advise about scoring that teaching job BUT time is moving on and there are none in my subject coming up so I'm looking to apply for a TA post at a local high school.
    On the Employment Record bit of the application form it's asking me to tick if I have worked in local government before - do I do this for my teaching posts where I was employed by the county council or not? I'm a bit confused because the only other TA role I applied for recently was internal so an application form wasn't needed.
    Thanks
    Clarys

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's fine, Clarys. I'm quite willing to help you.
    Personally I hate all app forms, they are a pain! Bet you feel like that too.
    Now I suggest two things:
    1) On your form, yes, tick local govt for teaching. The county council is local govt.
    2) And treat this application like a teaching one - read the shortlisting clickables, do a ncie exec summary, and prepare yourself well for the interview. The Interview clickablres, one of them,has some questions for TA posts.
    I know that you are disappointed not to get a teaching job, but being a TA is nice too - and less stress because less weight of responsibility.
    Course there's less money too, which is a bit sad, but it is a nice job to do.
    Best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Thank you :)
    I agree about TAing being all of the above - and with this school being at the end of the street to my son's PS I'll be able to walk to work :) Am going to be following advice to the letter and printing the application off and hand delivering it. Really want this one, and a big up in my favour is that I did my PGCE there.
    Hopefully I'll be able to start my own 'I got the job' thread soon.