1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - No person specification

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by louisevb, Mar 30, 2012.

1. I am appying for a post and there is no person specification to tailor the application to. I completed my PGCE in 2010 and since completed 1 term of induction and then worked on long term supply and day to day supply as well as having some office temp roles. I am struggling to even get shortlisted even though I tailor my applications and have thought that some jobs were perfect for me - had everything that the school needed which I outlined in the letter. I have tried including the executive summary and it did work on one application where I gained an interview but I was unsuccessful as they went for more experience (it was a maternity cover role for a teacher that had a lot of GCSE groups).
    When on supply I am often asked back to schools and have been told that they want me to stay if the sick teacher decided not to return, so I must make a good impression at the schools that I teach in.
    The job I am applying for would be perfect. I have visited the secondary school and completed most of the application but I wandered how I can summarise the points without a person specification to match my skills and experience to?
    Thank you for your help.

2. I've also spotted a job with no specification or job description. I've emailed the schoo, there has been no reply and the hand-in date is the Monday after the Easter holidays.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope that you are saying this clearly in your application letter! And that you have read this:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    You just get the person or job spec from a similar post, and work from that. This means that instead of the LH column saying Your requirements, you change it to something like: An effective teacher of English, or instead An effective KS2 teacher.
    Here's a Primary one:
    http://www.stoke-gabriel-primary.devon.sch.uk/docs/teacher-personspec.pdf
    Here's a secondary NQT one - NB it is longer than you think - not just the first page - there's some blank pages in the middle.
    http://manchester.talentpool.eteach.com/DataFiles/TalentPool/5801/Secondary%20JD&PS.pdf
    Come on, you can find these as well as I can!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.