1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: No Person Specification

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by wigglyworm, Jan 19, 2012.

1. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

Dear Theo,
    I very much like your recommended approach to application which includes matching one's experience to the person specification or the person implied in the Headteacher's letter to applicants.
    The job I have been hoping for (HOD) has come up at one of the schools I am very keen to work in but their application pack includes only the form + request for letter of application and a generic Job Description which does not indicate personal skills and attributes required.
    Could you give your opinion on the following questions:
    1. should I contact the school to ask for further details about the person specification (clearly risking annoying them if it's something they do not intend to produce)?
    2. should I try and find a person spec from another school for a HOD role, such as my existing employer, and write how I meet the qualities of a generic HOD?
    Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You could do (1) from another e-mail address . . . And anyway, it'll only be the secretary who would be slightly annoyed . . . I would do this. Say you just wondered if there were any further information such as a person specification
    You could do (2)
    Or you could (3) show from the job description just how many of the tasks you do already, or similar skills. This would be much closer to what you know that they want!
    Don't forget to read this advice:
    Dear Theo I need help!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

Dear TheoGriff,
    Thank you for the swift reply. I have just, however, logged into the jobsearch listing for this post this evening and discover that it has been updated now to include a person specification.
    This would be great..... except for my reservation about the wording contained therein:
    "Experienced in leading a successful team". The post is my first application for departmental leadership (it is actually headed Faculty Leader Eng & Media). Can you advise if my experience leading an exam key stage and having performance management responsibilities etc as an Asst.Director of a department would be appropriate experience or would you expect such wording to invite only those candidates who already have departmental leadership?
    Sorry to divert the thread elsewhere but your thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Rgds

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Doesn't say "experienced HoD". You most certainly are experienced in leading teams - make sure that you show it!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

That's really reassuring, thank you