1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - no jobs in my area, I'm due to finish a fixed term this year... HELP!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by squeaky3, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I have been struggling to find a long term job in my area, even when I finish my job this year, I will still be an NQT after 3 years! I was hoping my job would be extended into next year, but there is no money and the school is cutting a lot of time, especially part time teachers like me. I had a another potential job, but now this school are also trying to save money and not take on new staff.
    I have been looking every day for a job but there are no jobs within 60 miles of where I live!
    I could teach a second subject, but also there are no jobs in my second subject!

I really don't know what to do, I did a lot of supply teaching last year, and because I will still be an NQT going into September, I will have to apply for an extension if I want to do supply as I have done 16 months already.

I really don't know what to do, I can't relocate because of family commitments, and I can't drive too far away as I don't travel to well.... 31st May has come and gone, and still no jobs!

Someone said to me that in teaching, if you can't find a job, you can apply for the opportunity to retrain in a different subject. I don't know quite how this works, I'd love to teach ICT, and have very advanced ICT skills (programming, web design, flash/graphic design) though I have no formal ICT qualifications. Even though there aren't any ICT jobs in my area at the moment, there are probably more available over the course of the year than there are Music jobs (my main subject), the problem I face is getting a school to take me seriously when I have no quals in ICT (I also know a lot of teachers out there think they can teach ICT), I wondered if retraining in ICT would be the way forward? If so, how would I go about this?