1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - No job due to lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by zeps, May 18, 2012.

1. zeps

zeps New commenter

I didn't get a primary job today because my lesson had too much in it and I assumed the children knew too much. The school doesn't send any info about the given children so I assume (obviously wrongly) that a Y5 would have a y4 background knowledge. Ohh, it is so frustrating. My lesson was checked by my head and deemed as fine.
    Apparently a 30 min lesson shouldn't have any recording and just keep to discussion. That I don't understand as that would be part of my assessment, wouldn't it?
    1.What do you expect to see for AFL? Usual traffic light recording on work but what to do if not recording?
    2.How do I ensure they are all engaged IF it is left to discussion, surely the quieter, less able or plain lazy ones will just let the others do the work?
    I don't understand why it was so wrong. If it were my class, then my expectations of them plus knowing their prior knowledge would have made this a success.
    Apparently interviews are to show what you can do and they want you to do well.
    Hmm, there was an internal candidate too, enough said.

2. zeps

zeps New commenter

I didn't get a primary job today because my lesson had too much in it and I assumed the children knew too much. The school doesn't send any info about the given children so I assume (obviously wrongly) that a Y5 would have a y4 background knowledge. Ohh, it is so frustrating. My lesson was checked by my head and deemed as fine.
    Apparently a 30 min lesson shouldn't have any recording and just keep to discussion. That I don't understand as that would be part of my assessment, wouldn't it?
    1.What do you expect to see for AFL? Usual traffic light recording on work but what to do if not recording?
    2.How do I ensure they are all engaged IF it is left to discussion, surely the quieter, less able or plain lazy ones will just let the others do the work?
    I don't understand why it was so wrong. If it were my class, then my expectations of them plus knowing their prior knowledge would have made this a success.
    Apparently interviews are to show what you can do and they want you to do well.
    Hmm, there was an internal candidate too, enough said.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How disappointing for you! Really hard, really really hard.
    Why don't you talk this over with your Head or someone else in your school? They may have some good ideas that could help you next time.
    No, don't say that. Sometimes internal candidates get it, sometimes they don't.
    The new TES is out today, sit down with a nice big bar of . . .
    [​IMG]
    Kindest regards

4. Do not assume internal candidates will get posts.
    My current post is a 1 year contract.
    The job-share has been advertised for next year as the terms and conditions are changing as is the contract content.
    I am not assuming I will get the post again next year as the strengths of other applicants may well be in the areas requested by the school in the job ad which are not my main strengths.
    As such I am applying for other posts until I know for sure.