1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dear theo... new job, will i still be on UPS?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Kit1000, May 21, 2011.

1. Hello, I have just been offered a job for september (yay!). I am currently on UPS1, when I start in september will I start on UPS2 as you do on MS or will I be on UPS1 still or something else?
    kit x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!
    This is doubly excviting as you are on UPS - if you start another thread called Dear Theo - I got a job on UPS ! I will award you another star.
    There are so many posters desperate to get a job, but are routinely told that they are too expensive, that it would give them a thrill to see that thread title!
    Don't ask me!
    Literally - don't ask me - ask the folk who know over on Pay and Conditions.
    I have a vague idea that you stay for 2 years on UPS1, but I do not really know. I haven't been in the state sector for ages so am not the person with the answer here.
    Best of luck for September.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You do stay on UPS1 until you choose to apply to move to UPS2. Generally it is about 2 years to build up the evidence that you are still a fabulous teacher and worthy of more.

You need to decide when you think you are ready and can prove it, then approach your HT to ask them sort of thing.

Well done on the UPS post, is it primary as well?

4. Thanks for the reply! [​IMG]
    It is primary yep, eyfs unit manager in a lovely school so I am super chuffed!

5. Yeh its 2 years on UPS 1...I was awarded it in September 2010, so I will apply for UPS 2 Summer Term 2012...

6. Ah snap! September 2012 it is for me too then! Thanks for the help everyone! [​IMG]

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL not necessarily. You do have to apply for it and it is up to your HT whether or not you get it. It is not automatic.
    But if you have only been on UPS1 for one year and are changing schools, then it will be at least Sept 2012 before you can realistically apply.