1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - New Head as referee?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ebiere, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hi I am a bit concerned about not using current Head as referee. I left my job in Jan 2012 same time as the then Head (he retired). I never met the new Head who has only been there a month. Now I'm applying for jobs and I'm not sure what to do. I want to put down an Asst. Head. Would I have to explain why? Thank you

2. Hi I am a bit concerned about not using current Head as referee. I left my job in Jan 2012 same time as the then Head (he retired). I never met the new Head who has only been there a month. Now I'm applying for jobs and I'm not sure what to do. I want to put down an Asst. Head. Would I have to explain why? Thank you

3. Theo is of course the expert, but I've always been told/thought that it was standard to put the name of the head teacher down, and if they don't know you very well they will then pass the responsibility of reference writing to a more appropriate person. Then the head will just sign off the ref.

Could be wrong though.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You should put down the Head.
    In a very large school where the Head does not know everybody well, or in any school when recently appointed, s/he will ask someone else (a Deputy Head, a HoD, for example) to draft a first version of the reference.
    The Head will then check to see if this reference conforms to own brief impression, that it complies with school policies, grammar is OK, and will then have it typed up as his/her own work.
    So no problem here.
    But, of course, it would be polite to contact him/her about putting the name down.
    You can also have an AHT, DHT, HoD as your second refernce. Again, contact them first. If they are also writing the Head's reference, they will make sure that they say the same things in different words!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

5. Thanks Theo and thanks Shinystar. I will contact the New Head. The thing is he never met me, I left before he started. Anyway, I'll introduce myself and hopefully it will be fine.