1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, (negotiating?)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by aliciablanco, May 31, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,
    First interview went so well, I am very happy.
    I am going for a second one today and a third one tomorrow and I am so excited! The nerves have actually gone, so that's good and Paco is coming with me. If he gets me the job, I shall post a photo of him here so you can all meet him
    I wanted to ask for some advice here. Both of the schools are independent schools but one offers more salary than the other. The one that offers less, initially mentioned that salary would depend on experience and qualifications. So, even though they mentioned a figure on the phone, if I was offered the job; would it be OK to ask them if we could negotiate the salary?
    As you probably know,in International schools you can very often negotiate a final figure but regulations in the UK are different in that respect, right?
    Fingers crossed for me!!! Alla voy!

2. Dear Theo,
    First interview went so well, I am very happy.
    I am going for a second one today and a third one tomorrow and I am so excited! The nerves have actually gone, so that's good and Paco is coming with me. If he gets me the job, I shall post a photo of him here so you can all meet him
    I wanted to ask for some advice here. Both of the schools are independent schools but one offers more salary than the other. The one that offers less, initially mentioned that salary would depend on experience and qualifications. So, even though they mentioned a figure on the phone, if I was offered the job; would it be OK to ask them if we could negotiate the salary?
    As you probably know,in International schools you can very often negotiate a final figure but regulations in the UK are different in that respect, right?
    Fingers crossed for me!!! Alla voy!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No actual regulations, except that they cannot, in a miantained school, pay you LESS than your scale point. This can be a disadvantage, because they may decide that they cannot afford a teacher, and so appoint a second-best who is cheaper.
    You could try negotiating, but do so only gently. If you come over as too pushy, you may not even get the job! It is currently a Buyer's Market in education, with many more teachers than jobs, so you are not in a strong position.
    Best wishes