1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo my interview lesson was a disaster

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sammy47, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Sammy47

Sammy47 New commenter

Had an interview for an SLT position today. Did the worst lesson ever. Grade 4 Pupils not engaged. Pace all wrong. Normally I deliver 'good' lesson Every time I teach a new group this happens. should I have just done a normal teaching session ?

What are the ingredients for teaching an outstanding interview lesson - it wasn't that I hadn't prepared

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear! How disappointing for you that must have been, after yur hard work of preparation. :(

Oh, the magic formula! If I knew, I would bottle it . . .

Sometimes people start thinking about what they will do in the class. But instead of thinking first of the learning activities, you really need to think Objectives? In other words, what do you want them to learn? That must be the starting point.

Start by thinking of a really good lesson that you have given in the past. What was it that made it so successful? Bear that in mind.

Then think of the objectives of your observed lesson. You will need the right objectives for this age group, but make sure that you have high expectations, yet are prepared to be flexible if you have got the level wrong. How will you (a) achieve these objectives and (b) show that they have been achieved? Progress is important, so show it. Then look back at your best class - is there anything there that could help achieve the objectives.

Then work on from that . . . including one or two lines at the end of how you would develop this work in follow-up lessons, perhaps.

Have you read all the interview advice, by the way? Here's an example, there's masses more.

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Best wishes

3. Sammy47

Sammy47 New commenter

Thank you for your advice....on reflection that's exactly where I went wrong . Thought too much about the activities and not what I wanted them to learn

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's a good bit of reflection, so good luck for next time!

Best wishes