1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - moving to indpendent from state

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Tangit, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Thanks both! I had a good look around on here and found plenty of advice (much easier from my lap top than this daft iphone!)

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I'm MFL and I haven't looked back since moving to independent three years ago. All the frustrations of dealing with behaviour instead of teaching my subject have vanished. I work in a day school and I probably spend a fair bit more time at work than I used to before, but that is out of choice and not necessity (perfectionist - and also I now have HOD responsibilities). It feels like my time is used for useful purposes, not filling bits of paperwork relating to bad behaviour.
    Funny thing is, I didn't think I resented the behaviour management, as I was quite good at it, but now I'd never go back. The thrill of being able to throw anything at my pupils and for them to relish the challenge is just the best thing in the world. None of the "don't wanna do French it's boring" pupils.
    I have to go on one trip a year, during school holidays, and we have a few Saturday mornings too, but as holidays are longer it balances itself out. The hardest thing was getting used to longer teaching days (we finish at 4, which I'm told is early for independent), marking all the homework (pupils do it now!), having very little money and tech (no IWB at our place, some staff very set in their old ways) and possibly sometimes some tricky parents (but then again, in the old place I was once sworn at and almost hit by a parent, so all things considered it's not that bad!)
    Feel free to pm me if you want more specific details re MFL.