1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - moving into SEN

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by crazycatlady101, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hi, I want to move into a special school and have applied to 4 schools so far. In each case I have been told I do not have enough experience. I am M5 and have not really taught any severe SEN children, however I work in playschemes during the holidays with children with disabilities.
    Do I continue to apply for special schools and hope that I get an interview, or should I apply for SENCo posts and take a stepping stone to get there?
    Also, I have seen a post advertised but there are no details about what the school is. It is described as an outstanding special school. The only instruction is to send CV and covering letter to an external agency. Should I send it anyway and see what happens?
    Thanks Theo.

2. Hi Crazy cat lady,
    I'm not Theo but might be able to help. I currently work in SEN, Im jobseeking for either a new position in a Special school or SENCo job. Even though i have lots of experience in the right areas SENCo jobs won't look at me twice, It seems they would all prefer someone who is already a SENCo (understandable) or just someone in a mainstream ed even if they don't have sen knowledge experience?
    I came to a Special school 5 years ago VERY easily form just having a couple of years teaching experience and working in the SEN dept at school, but at the last school visit for a SEN job I attended there were ALOT of people there after the job. So i think maybe it's the current climate of so few jobs out there that is making ALL jobs (inc special school ones) more sought after, and where you would be getting shortlisted (and prob appointed) a few years ago you're not now.
    Not that any of that really helps you! On the applying for SENCo jobs front, go for it- if thats what you want, but i would say SENCo jobs are waay too stressful to take on lightly and if you then move into Special school there would be a big pay drop and change of lifestyle. If being a SENCo is not for you, hold out longer, get more experience and qualifications in your own SEN department, but apply for EVERYTHING that comes up. Special schools are small, and often even really good ones are not good at advertising their posts (not many Special schools in my local area advertise on TES its all through the local Bullitins).
    Sorry I can't be more useful.
    S (crazy dog lady)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am no expert at all on SEN and special schools, so am glad to see that someone who does actually know something about it has helped you.
    You could also go to the SEN Forum and ask people there.
    Best wishes
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!