1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, moving from a temporary to permanent contract - no summer pay...

Discussion in 'Independent' started by mkjhsl, May 20, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am an NQT and was lucky enough to secure a post in an independant school last october. The school is great and I really enjoy working there. However, I was employed on a temporary contract until 7th July 2011. After months of waiting to here what my situation would be for the following september I was finally informed today that they would like to offer me a permanent contract in september (great!). The problem is that the governors are not willing to pay me over the full summer but they have offered one months summer pay in what they call a 'goodwill gesture'.
    Whilst I am really happy to be offered a permanent contract and as far as I know am not legally obliged to recieve pay over the summer as my contract ends on 7th July - I can't help feeling that I've been a little bit done over. After reflecting on it, it seems quite petty as a month's nqt salary is fairly insignificant for the school, yet has a major impact on me. Surely the cost to the school of recruiting another (potentially more experienced and expensive) teacher would be more than my monthly salary?
    Am I being taken for granted or should I quit whinging and be grateful for having a job in a great school??

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

My view, and it is only a view, would be that they do not have to give you anything so a month's salary is pretty good going.
    You are right that recruiting another more experienced teacher would cost the school more than your monthly salary, but really that has nothing to do with you. What the school does with its money, how much it can afford, etc. etc. is neither here nor there. They don't owe you anything but are willing to meet you halfway as a gesture of goodwill. I would personally take it and then put it behind me.
    I'll be interested to see what Theo feels as an ex-head.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is hard for you, of course. Not getting summer pay . . .
    Yes, but if the school is small and not too sound, every bit helps.
    Yes, but they have chosen you, not someone else. Possibly because they couldn't afford anyone else?
    No, they are in fact giving you a free gift of one month's salary. Of course it would be better if they gave you another 3 weeks, but you knew when you accepted the post last year that it was only until the end of term.
    And if you had left for a post in another school, you wouldn't have had the extra month that they are paying.
    Certainly the job situation is bleak. Very bleak. The teaching market is the worst it has been in my memory. And I am an Oldie!
    There are large numbers of unemployed teachers
    out there. Almost half of the 2010 NQTs are still not in induction,
    over a quarter of the 2009 cohort in the same boat, and they are being
    joined by teachers currently being made redundant as schools face budget
    crises and falling rolls in Secondary. The 2011 cohort is actively job seeking now.
    Teachers from Ireland and Scotland are also trying to get jobs in England because of jobs drying up in their own areas.
    There is a large drop in the number of jobs advertised
    this year. The first big job rush comes every year, the last 2 weeks
    of March. The TES is so heavy you can hardly pick it up.
    Did you see that this year? No, because it didn't happen. Nor did the early May rush which depends on the people
    applying for the March jobs and handing in their notice. Which didn´t
    happen.
    Up to a third fewer jobs available overall so far this year.
    The
    next big job rush is normally in June, but we are expecting fewer than normal again. People will leave - but will they be
    replaced?
    Recently a Primary school advertised 2 jobs. They
    received 500 applications. Five hundred. Many of them asking to be
    considered for both positions.
    Fewer jobs, more applicants
    You need to be very confident, very lucky, and very financially secure to risk not accepting their offer and going out into the Big Wide World.
    I think that they are being mean. But to be blunt, there is little that you can do about it. You are in a fortunate position because (a) you have actually got a job and will probably soon have completed your induction. (b) you have got a job for September too, and in a great school. (c) it looks as though your term ends on 7th July! In Leeds, for example, the schools don't break up until 22nd July.
    So just grin and bear it, is my advice.
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thank you both for a very prompt and honest reply!
    I do consider myself to be very lucky and am fully aware of how competitive the job market is at the moment.
    As this is still all very new to me, I wanted to get some perspective on the situation and an idea of what others might expect in a similar position - so thank you for the reality check and I shall go back to enjoying my job!