1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- mentioning school's Ofsted at interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Anon_E_Mouse, Mar 22, 2012.

1. As it says really.
    There isn't much information given about the schools areas for developement, or in the rather generic job spec and little on the website so the Ofsted is the most fruitful source of information.
    There's some things I'd like to mention during interview and I kind of feel it would be natural to say, "I was reading the Ofsted report and I saw that you are strong in the field of x. This is also an area of strength for me and I could maintain and develop blah blah blah"
    They also have some areas of improvement so I made sure I emphasised my strength in those areas in my application, without saying I'd read the report!
    My issue is if I refer to the Ofsted areas of strength, will it look odd if I don't mention the areas of improvement. Obviously I have seen them!
    Am I better off not mentioning it at all?
    Am I overthinking this far too much??
    It's been ages since I've had an interview!
    It's a special school btw, I'm (hopefully) making the move from mainstream primary and the report is nearly 2 years old
    Thank you in advance!

2. That's a really good point which I've wondered myself, so be interesting to see what others think.
    We were told to always try and mention the schools ofsted report in the supporting statement, is this good practice?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It can be a bit of a Poison Ivy if you're not careful . . . .
    Can you imagine how they'd feel to have some Newbie gaily saying at interview "And I know that you're really bad at X and Y, but I can sort that all out for you!".
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I know that you wouldn't, but do be careful.
    A 2year old report should, by now, have been done and dusted, so really not worth mentioning any areas for development that you could contribute to. A one year old report, ditto, unless they are completely useless!
    No, because they will assume that you assume that they have sorted that by now.
    Best wishes
    (PS We know that you only mention Ofsted because you've been told to! Just as students applying for Uni always ask about the library - they haven't the faintest interest in the library, they really want to know all about the best pubs, but their Head of Sixth told them to ask that.)

4. That's exactly what I wanted to avoid!

Thanks Theo for your ever-relevent advice [​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck - we look forward to you following our tradition by starting a new thread called Dear tTeo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.