1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - medical screening

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ethnic, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Dear Theo

I just want to ask you about the term 'medical screening'. I have just read an advert which says that the offer of employment is subject to rigorous medical screening. This sounds rather painful! Does this mean that a medical examination is undertaken or does it just mean that prospective employers go digging around in your medical history? Can they really poke their noses into your private medical history?

Man thanks

Ethnic

2. Dear Theo

I just want to ask you about the term 'medical screening'. I have just read an advert which says that the offer of employment is subject to rigorous medical screening. This sounds rather painful! Does this mean that a medical examination is undertaken or does it just mean that prospective employers go digging around in your medical history? Can they really poke their noses into your private medical history?

Man thanks

Ethnic

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you will probably have to fill in a questionnaire, and then if there are any causes for concern, they ask permsiion to contact your GP.
    I'm afraid so! They have a legal obligation to make sure that you are fit for teaching. This is interesting as it conflicts with their legal obligation not to discriminate against you for a medical condition, under the Equality Act!
    If you want the long long long long post with all the details, it is here:
    Dear Theo: should I mention illness during an interview?
    Best wishes

4. Dear Theo

Many thanks for the reply. Would they only seek verification from you doctor if they had any queries about your health on the questionnaire or do they just seek advice from your doctor anyway?

Thanks

Ethnic

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They can't contact your dr without your permission. And they might just possibly ask to get reassurance that, for example, you are now better from something you have had.
    But it is not very common, so don't worry.
    Best wishes

6. Thank you Theo

Ethnic

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I do so like it when people say "Thank you".
    And I do hate it when I, or someone else, takes the time to reply to someone, and they then just read the reply (we assume) and then never bother to say thank you, just disappearing from view.
    [​IMG]
    So rude of them.
    Best wishes