1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Matching Executive Summary info to the Personal Specification

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ruthiepoos, Mar 8, 2012.

1. I'm taking your advice and getting involved with Executive Summary action!
    I'm slightly unsure of how to proceed. My Person Spec has 22 points and they're all pretty wordy. Should I relate experience to all, or group the points into relevant sub-headings?
    If the former should I just do one example for each? If latter any advice on how to group?
    Thanks in advance.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lots of people have this prtoblem at first! A long person soec to get onto one side.
    Golden rules are:
    • Prioritise. Don't include minor things nor things on the app form - qualifications for example. And certainly leave out any where you have nothing to say - you don't want a gap jumping out at them!
    • Condense - get their long sentence and reduce it to 3 or 4 essential words - this often means that the LH column can be narrower than the RH one.
    • Group - put together things which may seem similar.
    No, I can't give any tips over grouping - it will all depend what they are. Use your common sense over this. If the other two work well, you may not need to group.
    One or two examples for each is usually fine.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com