1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, mainstream to special school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by starflower15, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Hi Theo,

I am a primary school teacher who is very interested in working with SEN. There is a job working with young adults which I am very interested in, however I am concerned that in a few years, I may wish to return to teaching primary. I am a little worried though that in the ever changing primary world that taking a couple of years out would leave me in the dark as obviously it'll be a different teaching sequence. Would this affect my prospects should I wish to return to primary?

Thank you :)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo and welcome to our forum!

Yes, it would if you were out of the flow.

But . . .

But the numbers in Primary are still growing, especially in the larger cities, where there is also a shortage of teachers.

So in a shortage situation, you would still be in with a chance. But no guarantee, so do think very carefully about this proposed move.

Why are you attracted by this post? And more importantly - what skills, knowledge and experience of this do you have? Do you actually meet their requirements? Do a draft E.S. to see if you actually fit what they are looking for.

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S.

I'm sorry to be throwing cold water on you, but this is a very important decision.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. Thank you, my decision is based on the fact that I completed some voluntary work there a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. I've always loved working with SEN and I really liked teaching the young adults as it was such a varied job! I understand it is a big bridge to cross which is why I am concerned that if I did want to come back to primary, then it might be difficult.

I think I have a lot of thinking to do! Thank you