1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Longlisted

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SecondEd1, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,
    I received an interview offer today, which I accepted and when the headteacher's PA e-mailed me the details there was a section that said that the governing body take up references on all longlisted candidates. Does this mean that I have an outside chance of getting the job because I am not as good as some of the other candidates? Or will everyone be treated the same and there will be sn intial round of interviews to produce a shortlist? Also how many candidates are there likely to be on a longlist?
    Regards
    SecondEd1

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Longlisting can take place in two ways.
    A) They have a long list (and it could be anything from 6 to 16!), and take up references. Then they shortlist, and invite only those to interview.
    B) They have a long list, invite them all to interview stage 1, and get in references from them all. Then they get them all to carry out a task - usually a lesson observation - and from the results of that they then shortlist, sending half of them home at lunchtime and only interviewing the remainder in stage 2.
    So:
    1) You seem to be in type B)
    2)
    No - why would you think that you are different from the others?
    3)
    Might be an interview, more likely something else.
    Make sure that you read the interview clickables in the Welcome thread.
    Well done for getting that interview - we look forward to a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

<a name="6835716">[/URL]