1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo...letter of resignation help

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Mrs_Hamilton, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

Hi Theo,
    Firstly I thank you for your basic and professional outline of a resignation letter. It has helped me immensely because, as I'm so upset/sad about my current position and am resigning with heavy heart, I can barely think straight and my letter would be more emotive and less professional. so here are my dilemmas:

1. I have pretty much taken the words and adapted them to my situation, however I (as mentioned before) cannot think properly when it comes to the letter itself. So I wondered if you could help. I copied this:
    "I wish to confirm that I am resigning my post of ..." but I am not sure that I 'wish to confirm'. I only applied for one other job and was unsuccessful and the management think that I have 'got it out of my system' and that I will be 'staying'. So in that sense I am not 'confirming' anything, am I? Oh I don't know. Somehow "I am writing to resign from my post..." sounds a bit abrupt.
    I followed the second paragraph model too, about thanking everyone etc because I think, on the whole, I have received some good experience from the school.

2. Do I mention anything about my plans going forward (references, interviews, etc) ...because I have not decided completely what I will do. I am at an Indy school where I need to give more notice, and I do not have a job to go to yet. I thought I would leave this out of the letter and mention via email going for interviews and requesting references. I guess I should mention these face to face but sometimes I can barely keep myself from crying when I'm in the company of this person.

Many thanks Theo...and I'll be sure to 'like' your advice ;)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My advice for the moment is NOT to hand in any letter of resignation.

As you know, you cannot leave until Easter.

When can I resign?

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school

You have until the New Year to write it and hand it in - but check first your contract to see whether it has to be in Before or On the first day of term.

You are much too emotional at the moment to do this. In fact, if I were your Head I would refuse to accept a resignation written when you are under stress. The very fact that you have written a whole paragraph about how to begin the letter shows this.

So calm down, safe in the know;ledge that you will be leaving as soon as you can, but don't write anything yet.

Come back and "talk" to me about this in a week or two. Or three!

Now go and watch something daft on the telly.

Best wishes

midnight_angel and Mrs_Hamilton like this.
  3. Mrs_Hamilton

@TheoGriff
    Many thanks.
    I am calmer now. I'm surprised I'm calm because I am currently 'running the school' and teaching full time. (I seriously could not make up the situation I have found myself in...it's laughable...)

Anyway, my clearer head has made me see I need to leave. Please could you check my dates on the letter? I have left it quite 'to the point' with few pleasantries

Dear CoG and Head

Resignation from post of ?.. at ?.. School

I wish to confirm that I am resigning my post of ..., at ?...School with effect from Monday 11th April 2016. My last date of employment will thus be 8th April 2016, and my last date of attendance will be Thursday 24th March.

I would like to thank you and the rest of the governors and staff at ... School for the support that you have given me throughout my time here. I have much enjoyed working as a part of this team, and appreciate the opportunities that I have had for personal and professional development. I shall ensure that my remaining time working with the pupils at... School will be as successful as the earlier terms.

Yours sincerely,

4. Mrs_Hamilton

By the way...my name is NOT Mrs Hamilton. It looks funny seeing it there, esp as am trying to be anonymous. When I gave myself the name I was hoping I'd marry Lewis Hamilton one day...

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No,no, that's no good! ;)

If you are in a maintained school, or in fact in any school in England and Wales, this won't work, @Mrs_Hamilton , because there are fixed leaving dates.

And 11th April ain't one of them!

I wish to confirm that I am resigning my post of ..., at ?...School with effect from 1st May 2016 My last date of employment will thus be 30th April 2016, and my last date of attendance will be (whatever is last day of term before Easter)

Be prepared for them to say that if you are not going to another school, you have to come back for the last few days of April. Unlikely, but they could say that.

At least with my version you get paid to 30 April. ;) ;)

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school

Best wishes

Mrs_Hamilton likes this.
  6. Mrs_Hamilton

I knew I'd get it wrong. But with Easter being early...it seems like I will have to work the first few weeks of summer term! (Esp with it being Indy...they'll need their money's worth.)
    I'll make the changes!

Thank you so much.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You might be lucky and they just accept your resignation without asking you to come back . . .

Best wishes

Mrs_Hamilton likes this.
  8. Mrs_Hamilton

I,m hoping I'll be lucky!
    Thanks again.