1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - letter of application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by PinkHelen, Mar 20, 2012.

1. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi, I'm filling out an application at the moment, and there's a section where it asks for a letter of application outlining why I'm applying for the job and how I meet the person specification e.t.c.
    I was going to include a cover letter too, obviously, and every other application form I've filled in asked for a "supporting statement". I just wanted to check that this letter of application isn't meaning the cover letter that I was going to send anyway (I'm pretty sure I should send in my cover letter, application form and supporting statement but I think I'm getting paranoid - I don't want to miss out on an interview because I didn't send the correct information!)

2. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

As far as I can gather...
    1. Cover letter should be brief: Dear Mr X Please see my app for X including my form, statement etc.

2. Statement is the same thing as an app letter. Dont repeat this

3. Put a paragraph about interests and exec summAry (Theo [​IMG]) in additional teaching skills and interests section

Good luck x

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My apologies for the tardy reply - although I am only supposed to reply 2 or 3 times a week, so actually it's not so very tardy.
    My advice on writing applications is contained mainly in those shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread here on this Forum. Also, you should read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this. It looks as though the forms have room for the executive summary, so put it there and then do a separate application letter.
    The Welcome thread clickables explain about an executive summary.
    Best wishes

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, not both - 2 letters would be daft!
    I have just re-read this, and I'm not too clear.
    On the form - does it have a big space for you to put the letter? Or does it just tell you to enclose a letter in addition to filling in the form?
    Best wishes

5. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Thanks for replying Theo - I think you've been speedy even with the techinical difficulties!
    I doesn't have a space on the form at all for the letter of application. It's the standard application form (it seems) for Cheshire West and Chester - I filled one out last week for somewhere else in the same LA and didn't think much of it - just sent the application form off with the cover letter (2 pages) and CV (they asked specifically for one) - I didn't want to bombard them with paper so I presumed that was sufficient. But I've thought about it a bit more now with this new application and it seems odd!
    On the form it literally says "You are required to submit a letter of
    application in which you should explain why you are applying for the job. Please concentrate on how your experience,
    training and personal qualities match the requirements of the job description
    and person specification." There is no space whatsoever to write below it!

As I've said above, I've written all the relevant things in my cover letter, so I was thinking of writing a small introduction and then providing the executive summary. Or should I just send the executive summary with no introduction? Their person spec is a bit basic and I have much more to offer than just what it says on there, so I think I would prefer to write the "introduction" - like a personal statement. Like you say it's very daft to send two letters so I wouldn't start it off with "Dear Mr X" or anything. Confused though![​IMG]

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A cover letter shouldn't have this in.
    Read the FAQs! Do not send a cover letter that has in it anything to support your application.
    So that is what you do.
    You write a letter showing how you meet their requirements.
    Ditch the cover letter! Use part of it where appropriate as part of the new letter of application that you are going to write, AS THEY HAVE INSTRUCTED YOU TO DO!
    NO!
    Don't have an introduction plus a letter - that's putting your application into two parts, it's daft. Write a letter as they tell you to, "a letter of application in which you should explain why you are applying for the job. Please concentrate on how your experience, training and personal qualities match the requirements of the job description and person specification."
    I'm sorry to sound a bit cross here, it's not what I mean to be, but I cannot understand why you are insisting on hanging on to your so-called "Cover letter". You just need to do as they say.
    So you will write:
    • a letter of application
    • an executive summary
    • NO cover letter
    Over and Out!
    Best wishes

7. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

OK cheers, I guess I'm attached to the cover letter idea as it's what I've always done (it's what we were told to do on PGCE) and I've always got an interview everywhere I've applied. But your advice makes sense and I don't want to keep doing something just because it's what I've always done, so I appreciate your explanations. [​IMG]

8. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Ah, just read the FAQs bit and it seems I've written a letter of application already - as you said some places (as well as myself!) don't know the difference between the two - it seems that this has been every school that I have applied to previously as they've all asked for a cover letter and meant a letter of application!
    Thanks again for your advice [​IMG]

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter