1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Letter of application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by henali, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Dear Theo
    I have recently applied for several AHT posts but with no success. I contacted the last school for feedback. I was told the my letter was in the top 10, yeah, that I have strong leadership amd management and that I demonstrated strong leadership using data, which was what they asked me to discuss. I was told I wasn't invited for an interview as I didn't discuss the implications of the white and green education papers, not mentioned in their application pack. I'm thoroughly confused about the whole AHT application process and feel it is purely down to luck. I've followed your advice in How to get shortlisted and the advice of an ex headteacher. What should I do to improve my chances of securing that interview?

2. Dear Theo
    I have recently applied for several AHT posts but with no success. I contacted the last school for feedback. I was told the my letter was in the top 10, yeah, that I have strong leadership amd management and that I demonstrated strong leadership using data, which was what they asked me to discuss. I was told I wasn't invited for an interview as I didn't discuss the implications of the white and green education papers, not mentioned in their application pack. I'm thoroughly confused about the whole AHT application process and feel it is purely down to luck. I've followed your advice in How to get shortlisted and the advice of an ex headteacher. What should I do to improve my chances of securing that interview?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The obvious reply here is to come on Saturday to the seminar!
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com
    But let's have a look at what you say they said:
    So here we had a school that had a secret criterion for shortlisting that was not on their person spec . . . This is not good practice at all, I'm afraid, and anybody from a reputable appointments agency would have told them so. Me if I had been there.
    Normally it is not, it is very clearly and fairly done, with the criteria taken from the person spec and applications judged against them.
    My guess is that either this is just a Bad Egg in the appointments procedure and not at all typical, or that they were at a loss to explain to you how they whinnowed it down from 10 to 5, so grasped at that as an excuse.
    Don't be depressed, get up, dust yourself down, and start all over again.
    (And think about Saturday . . .
    <h3>Nearly 900 SLT posts advertised this week . . . )</h3>Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com