1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Letter of application/personal statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by katty_kit, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I am attempting to fill in an application form which tells me that I can either fill in the additional information section, or attach as a separate document if preferred, referring to the person specification.
    My first problem is that the headings in the additional information section don't match up with the headings on the person specification. The person specification is in table format, which includes 9 essential points and 3 desirable points, as well as 16 leadership and management responsibilities. Also within the job description there are a further 16 bullet points each with at least 3 sub points which seem to be taken from the teaching standards. I have no idea whether I am supposed to include all of this within my statement (or how, without writing about 10 pages!), or just the main points in the person spec.
    Also, is it ok to write the statement as part of my letter of application or should it be a completely separate document?
    Sorry for the waffle, and thank you in advance!

2. I am attempting to fill in an application form which tells me that I can either fill in the additional information section, or attach as a separate document if preferred, referring to the person specification.
    My first problem is that the headings in the additional information section don't match up with the headings on the person specification. The person specification is in table format, which includes 9 essential points and 3 desirable points, as well as 16 leadership and management responsibilities. Also within the job description there are a further 16 bullet points each with at least 3 sub points which seem to be taken from the teaching standards. I have no idea whether I am supposed to include all of this within my statement (or how, without writing about 10 pages!), or just the main points in the person spec.
    Also, is it ok to write the statement as part of my letter of application or should it be a completely separate document?
    Sorry for the waffle, and thank you in advance!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, absolutely impossible to cover all that!
    Sounds as though the form with its little sections is a standrad thingie, and the job/person spec is different for some posts.
    So ignore the bits on the form and go for the statement.
    Do a two-page statement (in normal size font - don't cheat by making it tiny or with tiny margins). And do an executive summary too.
    For the statement, write about the major points of the person/job spec - decide what would be the main things for them. they don't want a paragraph about your qualifications!
    For the exec summary, include the main things, but just in the bullet point format, but also cover a few more things. Remember the rule for exec summaries when faced with long specs:
    • prioritise and omit
    • condense
    • group
    If this talk of executive summary makes no sense to you, then read the clickables on shortlisting inside the Welcome thread at the top of the page, and this:
    <h3>Application form help needed!! </h3>
    (If this is an application for a SLT post, and the closing date is next week or later, not this, then perhaps you should be seeing if there is a vacancy on the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on this Saturday 17th March.)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com