1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo letter of application confusion

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by head_in_a_book, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hello Theo and all,

I'm applying to a fantastic school, and have a lot of experience applying for jobs, so I understand how important it is to tailor your personal statement to the criteria specified by the school. This application has me stumped, however. I have two questions:
    1.It asks for a "brief separate letter of application". Is a 2-sides of A4, personal statement-style letter 'brief' enough?

2. The letter must outline:
    ? Your understanding of key issues in the effective teaching of English

? How you would like to contribute to the further raising of achievement in an already outstanding department.

These are issues that I always cover in my personal statement, and I feel that they overlap a great deal, so am finding it difficult using this as a structure and responding to the bullet points directly. Do you think they really want applicants to address these bullet points exactly as they are stated here, or is a more general, well-structured explanation of my skills, experience,a and the results I achieve an appropriate response?

Any thoughts welcome! Thanks!

2. Hello Theo and all,

I'm applying to a fantastic school, and have a lot of experience applying for jobs, so I understand how important it is to tailor your personal statement to the criteria specified by the school. This application has me stumped, however. I have two questions:
    1.It asks for a "brief separate letter of application". Is a 2-sides of A4, personal statement-style letter 'brief' enough?

2. The letter must outline:
    ? Your understanding of key issues in the effective teaching of English

? How you would like to contribute to the further raising of achievement in an already outstanding department.

These are issues that I always cover in my personal statement, and I feel that they overlap a great deal, so am finding it difficult using this as a structure and responding to the bullet points directly. Do you think they really want applicants to address these bullet points exactly as they are stated here, or is a more general, well-structured explanation of my skills, experience,a and the results I achieve an appropriate response?

Any thoughts welcome! Thanks!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Yes
    Q2 Oh. Are you writing a personal statement AS WELL as a letter? this is not normal.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    So . . . yes, they do want you to address these points directly, and do so in a letter, so dump that personal statement and start again with just a letter. Include those specific points and then include other material directly relevant to the post that would have been in the personal statement.
    And do an executive summary as well, of course.
    P.S. will often give a paragraph if your browser eats them when you post.
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">P.P.S
    You know the old saying - it's not experience that counts, it's successful experience . . . Hopw this application is the one for you!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March
    </td></tr></table>

4. Thank you! I'll get straight onto it! :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Veey best of luck!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March