1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... letter and application?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mstones, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I've read your advice on executive summaries which looks great and I will definitely include one in my next application.

However I am still confused about cover letters. My ITT provider said we should do a cover letter for every application and I've had NQTs saying to me that they didn't get interviews until they did cover letters. However, all the school application forms I've looked at so far have a section for up to 2 pages of supporting information. So, is that in place of a letter or should I be doing both? If I am doing both what should be in each one?

Also, do you think schools have a preference for posted over e-mailed applications?

Thank you

2. Dear Theo,

I've read your advice on executive summaries which looks great and I will definitely include one in my next application.

However I am still confused about cover letters. My ITT provider said we should do a cover letter for every application and I've had NQTs saying to me that they didn't get interviews until they did cover letters. However, all the school application forms I've looked at so far have a section for up to 2 pages of supporting information. So, is that in place of a letter or should I be doing both? If I am doing both what should be in each one?

Also, do you think schools have a preference for posted over e-mailed applications?

Thank you

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Read the FAQs - that will explain this!
    Q2 Read the FAQs - that will explain this!
    Q3 Many schools will prefer properly produced e-mail applications, if only because it is easier to "file and find" them - they are all easily available on screen. Don't put an application letter in the body of the e-mail, though, although a true cover letter can go there. Read the FAQs - that will explain this!
    If they make it clear that e-mailed applications are accepted (by giving an e-mail where to send them), then go ahead and e-mail it. It shouldn't make any difference.
    Best wishes!

4. Thank you !