1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - leaving for personal reasons

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon8315, Jan 20, 2016.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

hi :)

What I'm really asking here is how best to explain moving suddenly between jobs without boring a potenti al HT with my life history!

I don't want to look sinister with a lot of job changes in the last eighteen months but there are perfectly good reasons for them which I'm happy to explain at interview but feel instinctively that my personal life needs to be kept out of an application letter. (It's things like relationship breakdowns, bereavement and so on by the way not prison sentences!)

Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Whatever you say (you've heard me say this before ;) ) has to be honest and truthful.

Have the school moves involved geographic moves too? Or all within same town/area? And how many is a lot within 18 months - that's only 4-5 terms.

When I have a better idea, I can get some (honest and truthful) wording drafted.

Best wishes

3. anon8315

Well ... I don't want to out myself much, but there have been geographical moves (relationships, deaths) and non geographical moves (babies, sorting out some of the ramifications of above death)

So school 1 - 3 years but there's no one to give me a reference due to retiring senior managers.
    School 2 - 1 year, vague reference as the head didn't know me (very troubled school and change of head mid year; I don't think he'd recognise me if we passed on the street, honestly.)
    School 3 - one term; wrong school, wrong role, wrong time ...

Does that help? I would never lie but at the same time I am aware potential head teachers don't want to read about cheating boyfriends, dying parents, plans for babies and messy legal affairs!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am looking for a school where I can give a long-term commitment to the pupils and their academic and personal development. Having moved more often than I would wish recently, due to family issues which are now, sadly, no longer, I feel ready to join a school community where I can make a wide contribution.

Bit blurby, but it's the best I have been able to think of . . . .

Best wishes

5. anon8315

Thank you, Theo :)

I really appreciate the time you took to help me compose an explanation.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad to be of service!

Best wishes