1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: leaving after one term?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Rowntreegirl, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi,

Leaving after 1 year never used to be particularly frowned upon, but now the job market is so much more competitive it could be an issue. The important thing is that you make it very clear, obvious and understandable why you want to move schools. The start date of your current job will certainly stand out on your application and be flagged up - but if you are a really great candidate, then the panel will just want reassurance that there's nothing wrong/something dodgy hasn't happened. Explain the PULL factor - how you just couldn't miss the opportunity at this school / a school you've wanted to work in for a long time etc - and also by a convincing explanation of why your skills/knowledge/experience aren't being utilised in your current post.

I was employed in my current school after being only 2 terms in my previous school - my Head said to me that she went on the (previous) school's website and said she "immediately understood how out of context" I was there (not quite sure what that says about me but it worked and she offered me the job...) Good luck.

2. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

I was just about to post the same question as the OP, only difference is that it would be two terms for me. Geography is quite an issue in my current role with the cost of fuel. What is an "acceptable" time in post to before applying for other roles? (I am an NQT - I have just begun full time this term, but a job at one of my dream schools has come up for a start in September).

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ozzie, well if you don't try you'll never know, but bear in mind that interrupting your NQT year might be a problem.
    Whatever you do don't say anything like my dream school to your present Head though (sort of suggest the school you're at isn't which no Head wants to hear) but talk about the travel costs, time involved issues.

4. Hi Theo and others. I thought I would update because others were in my position. I have got a new job at a school I really like and although my level of responsibility is the same, I get a higher TLR for it - happiness all round [​IMG]
    I don't know if this is the reccommended advice but I was honest and explained that it wasn't the school for me, but did so in a way that emphasised I wanted to work in the school I had applied to rather than not wanting to work in my present school, if that makes sense.
    I thought my career was over when I wrote the starting post, what a relief that it isn't.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So CONGRATULATIONS are in order clementinesandbrazilnuts! [​IMG]