1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Leaving 5 days before end of term (Summer pay?)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by neilorton, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Dear Theo,

I have worked in the same school for nearly 20 years. We amalgamated (new head+new build) one year ago with the Infant school next door, so technically I have been employed 12 months here. I resigned my post, effective 5 working days before end of term, as I had a new contract that started earlier. My Head then suggested I resign 31st Aug and take 5 days unpaid, thus being paid over the summer. I resubmitted my resignation on those terms but the Governors have declined my request. After nearly 20yrs of service (many extra, unpaid, hours doing sports and other clubs, etc.) I feel very let down but I am not sure if I have any grounds for appeal, other than the emotive plea that, without summer pay, I cannot pay my mortgage. Do you have any ideas?

I would be most grateful for your input.

Thanks,

N

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear me!

And you have anyway now missed the resignation deadline . . .

If the governors do not agree, then there is really nothing that you can do about it. Sorry! There really isn't.

For the benefit of other posters I would say that anything like this - leaving at an unusual time - needs to be sorted out, in writing, before the official resignation date so that everyone concerned is in agreement.

On the bright side . . . the situation is back to square one, back to what you originally expected when you resigned 5 days before the end of term.

But surely you have the new job?

What you have had is an up and down. Your hopes were raised by your Head and now you have been disappointed. That's hard. And a disappointing way to end your time in the school.

But you are stuck with what you originally wanted - permission to leave early so that you could begin the new job.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.