1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Knew I'd have some questions - sorry :S!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Mar 4, 2012.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

So, I'm still applying for jobs, and have looked at past answers, but still can't see anything.
    My questions are;
    Q1. There is a section about hobbies and interests, then a section of extra curricular things you can offer, then pastoral. Does that mean I shouldn't mention any of this in my supporting letter, but just in the application bit?
    Q2. Then there is a bit about other qualifictions, awards, achievements, skills, languages, publications - what kind of things do you put here? I'm ok for the language bit, and have no publications - but not 100 per cent sure about the rest[​IMG]!
    Now I have questions about the interview!
    Q3- They don't mention about bringing your certificates/ CRB etc - should I bring them anyway, or re they just goign to ask the people to bring them who get short listed for the next bit?
    Q4 - You may not be able to answer this - Everybody keeps telling me to be myself and be confident - how am I supposed to be confident before . . . .day[​IMG]?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there! Nice to hear from you again!
    I am rather busy at present so only on-line once a day, and was just about to log off, so you got in Just In Time!
    Q1 I would have a short bit in your application as well, linking the two, saying for instance that one of your hobbies is craftwork, and you would be very keen to set up or help with a knitting club, or bracelet making, or whatever you think would go down well.
    Q2 ((.99% of applicants have no piublications; I am in the 00.01%! But perhaps you have done First Aid? Or got an ICT certificate at some time? N.B. do not put any awards that you won at Brownies - too long ago. :)
    Q3 You're going to want to have them ready anyway, so why noe take them along Just In Case?
    Q4 You are right, I cannot answer this, except by having you thinking:
    a) Do I trust Theo?
    b) Has Theo met me? (And don't think I don't know EXACTLY who you were!)
    c) Has Theo corresponded with me?
    d) Has all this made Theo believe in me and my strengths and skills?
    So ther you are. If I say so, it must be right. You. Are. Very. Worth. Appointing.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

[​IMG] Thank you Theo!!
    Q2 - I have a TEFL, some music exams and other things . Wasn't going to put anything from Brownies [​IMG]
    Haha - I do trust you!
    [​IMG]!!
    [​IMG]
    Thank you Theo

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm the world's cleverest man . . . [​IMG]

Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com