1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Kidney Failure and applying for NQT positions

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by boomdeaye, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hi, I need some advice about applying for primary NQT teaching positions starting in September.
    I'm currently on dialysis and am due to have a kidney transplant at the end of April (with a kidney donated by my sister). I had to drop out of the end of my PGCE course in 2011 due to my kidney failure and have been finishing it part time this year while I've been having to spend a lot of time in hospital. I have also been working part time on a freelance basis (not in teaching) as I needed to pay the mortgage and I was able to fit it in with everything else at it was quite flexible. I'm a bit worried about how much to write about my current situation on application forms as while I think it's important to be up front about it - I don't want to scare anyone either. I'm also concerned that my part time job being non teaching will look bad and go against me - and look like I'm not serious about teaching - which I am! Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm currently filling in application forms and am not sure what to do. Thanks

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Theo will no doubt give you better/more detailed advice than me but I jut thought i'd add my thoughts. With stuff like this it can really depend on how you talk about it, if you are able to put this in a positive light it shouldn't go against you.

I'm dyslexic, i'm very aware of the weaknesses this gives me (slower reading, really slow at essays, make more spag errors, weaker working memory etc) but when I talk about it in terms of teaching I state how dispite my dyslexia i've gained my degree and pgce. Especially since the full extent of my difficulties wasn't flagged up until i was on my pgce! I'm also very determined to go out and get the things i want, i'm part way through a masters degree at the moment (studies on hold, doing some other studying in the meantime) and I've done that around work. When teaching I don't mention to the kids enmass about my dyslexia, however if there is a kid with a similar SEN that i know won't pass it around I will be open with them about how it's effected my education.

What I would suggest you do is phrase things around the fact you've had your pgce affected by a medical need that has equired you change from the standard route, focus on the fact that dispite this you have completed your pgce. Talk about the fact that you've undertaken other work to pay the bills whilst your medical needs are sorted out and that this should be happening soon and that you are keen and eager to take up an induction post and begin to develop your teaching career. You can also mention how your experience has taught you the value of focusing on a goal even if it's not achievable in the most straight forward manner and that you want to pass this on to kids :)

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Personally I am blown away and humbled by your bravery and determination to have been able to cope with all this.
    Its clear to me and therefore must be to others you are highly dedicated to teaching (far more then I could ever hope to be).
    Sorry I've no advice, just admiration.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Two lovely posts here, really super!
    It might just be worth your while also checking to see if you are covered by the Equality Act, which would be another point in your favour.
    But we would all like to echo the thoughts above: how much we admire both of you!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

5. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Me too!