1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Jumping the gun?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by LucSki, Mar 3, 2012.

1. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Dear Theo and All,

I am looking for employment for April or September 2012. In the past I have always sent out CV's to local Indy schools and in my past 2 jobs this is how I have gained employment. I am however looking in the same area (Cheshire/Lancashire) as when I appplied for September 2011. I have updated my CV and personal statement with my post from Sept-April but is it worth sending CV's again? Shall I just send to other schools I didnt in Sept 2011? or is it just best to wait until they come out on TES Alerts? Are there any other websites that show Indy Pre-prep positions? I have also subscribed to eteach.

Thanks! x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Going to start with 2 depressing facts.
    Fact 1: there is a surplus of primary teachers
    Fact 2 this is especially so in the NW
    But:
    Fact 3 the demographoc trends are such that in some areas there is an upsurge in EYFS, so you may cash in on this!
    Generally I feel that it is not worth sending out speculative letters, because in many schools the job of Head's secretary includes weeding them out before the Head sees them. Writing by name, by name, to the person i/c of the key stage that you are interested in may work, as s/he is unlikely to have a secretary.
    And I also feel that with the current market, a school is going to expect you to apply alongside everyone else. So not much point, is my view.
    There is no specific place where jobs just for indy schools are advertised - it's the TES, and you have already set up a job alert. So just start preparing yourself for producing a superb application that will really impress them. Read this for some advice:
    <h3>Application form help needed!! </h3>Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Thank you, there seems to be a steady flow coming through job alerts at the moment so fingers crossed they keep coming! x

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I hope you see the job that you want - and get it!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com