1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo/John and others: A contract issue with new job (sorry, long!)

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by gotoads, Jun 20, 2011.

1. I am currently on long term supply at a school which is meant to be until November. However, I told them I was looking for a permanent job from September and have accepted one last week (through my current HOD!).
    I negotiated with my new Headteacher a July start so I would get paid through the summer. She verbally agreed over the phone (but was not happy re budgets), in the same conversation that I accepted the job. She reminded me this was a verbal binding contract.
    I then got an email today backing out of the July start and summer pay, blaming my current headteacher and that she would not feel right 'disrupting my current students' and 'did not want to ruin her relationship with current headteacher' by 'poaching me'. However, this does not seem to affect the September offer.
    I went to my current headteacher for clarification, as I am (a) employed through an agency, (b) had worked hard with my HOD to minimise disruption by helping arrange internal cover etc and did not see why she was making things difficult.
    She informed me that she had told new headteacher that, although disappointed, she had no say over me, being an agency worker and I was free to go. She also laughed when I told her what new headteacher had said about relationship between them and said that heads did not work that way. I have discussed situation with current department and they support me.
    Therefore, I now think that new headteacher has had second thoughts about spending the money on a july start and is trying to get out of it by blaming my current school.
    So my questions are: (1). Is this verbal contract she made with me binding? and (2) How can I get her to adhere to it without damaging our new relationship? (3) should I involve the union?
    thanks if you read this far. very upset!

2. I am currently on long term supply at a school which is meant to be until November. However, I told them I was looking for a permanent job from September and have accepted one last week (through my current HOD!).
    I negotiated with my new Headteacher a July start so I would get paid through the summer. She verbally agreed over the phone (but was not happy re budgets), in the same conversation that I accepted the job. She reminded me this was a verbal binding contract.
    I then got an email today backing out of the July start and summer pay, blaming my current headteacher and that she would not feel right 'disrupting my current students' and 'did not want to ruin her relationship with current headteacher' by 'poaching me'. However, this does not seem to affect the September offer.
    I went to my current headteacher for clarification, as I am (a) employed through an agency, (b) had worked hard with my HOD to minimise disruption by helping arrange internal cover etc and did not see why she was making things difficult.
    She informed me that she had told new headteacher that, although disappointed, she had no say over me, being an agency worker and I was free to go. She also laughed when I told her what new headteacher had said about relationship between them and said that heads did not work that way. I have discussed situation with current department and they support me.
    Therefore, I now think that new headteacher has had second thoughts about spending the money on a july start and is trying to get out of it by blaming my current school.
    So my questions are: (1). Is this verbal contract she made with me binding? and (2) How can I get her to adhere to it without damaging our new relationship? (3) should I involve the union?
    thanks if you read this far. very upset!

3. It is very unusual to get a July start so I can totally understand her not wanting to stretch the budget. I think you should be grateful you have a job for September and run with it.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

1) Yes, provided you can prove it.
    2) With great difficulty.
    3) Depends on how strongly you feel and how you feel about the continuing relationship with the new Head.
    Will say, this is pretty poor show on part of the new Head.