1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Jobseeking for the first time in London

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by haykay, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Dear Theo (and eveyone!),
    I am planning a move to London to be with my partner, and am finding the prospect rather daunting. This is partly because I will be moving to a completely new city, and partly because I do not have any real experience of jobseeking; I was given a permanent post as an English teacher at my GTP placement school (I worked there as a teaching assistant before that as well!).
    I feel as if I know a lot about schools in my city, but do not know any schools or teachers in London. I am already looking at the TES jobs section, and beginning to look at schools' websites, but it all seems very confusing as I do not even know the areas/communities. I would be grateful for any advice on successful job searches... especially when it is coupled with moving to a new city.
    Many thanks!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some excellent advice above from fellow posters. (But don't ask on here about an individual school - comments on specific schools not allowed - google them instead).
    It's a good idea to set up a JobAlert here on TES Jobs to get details asap of suitable vacancies.
    And, of course, you must ensure that your application is top notch, so get the advice inside the Welcome thread - open the shortlisting clickables.
    Best of luck!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    There is also a Weekend Workshop on applications on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you then!