1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Jobseeking after illness

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by s4mm13, Nov 25, 2011.

1. First of all, congratulations on your speedy recovery.
    I have a similar problem where i was off for 5 weeks due to illness and am aware of how bad this can look on an application. I aked theo how i could make this look less bad on my apps and this is what he said.
    By being factual again. "25 days absence at one go 5 terms ago with a serious condition which is now cured and causing no further problems" (If this is true of course).
    One absence of 25 days is much better than 25 separate days off.
    I know it's not quite the same situation, but maybe this is something you could write.
    Best wishes
    s4mm13

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Great news that you are now back on your feet.
    Yes, equally valid to you is the point that I made to s4mm13 about coming clean about your illness up front, in your letter if necessary, saying something along the lines of "a recent acute medical condition has caused me to remain unemployed after completing my PGCE.. However successful surgery has cleared the condition entirely, and I am now anxious to get into the classroom and play a full part in school life"
    As I said to s4, only say this if it is true, of course - don't just blindly copy my words!
    And don't forget to read all the advice inside the Welcome thread at the top of the Forum before you start applying!
    Here's a quick summary of what to do overall to get your applications rolling, read what I say to this person:
    Dear Theo ''application form horror!!''
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars