1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Job Application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by And100, Feb 29, 2016.

1. And100

And100 New commenter

Dear Theo
    I have a few questions regarding a job I am applying for and would be very grateful for any advice.
    1. The job is non-teaching but related to education. Do I need an ES? The articles in this forum tend to say 'applying for a job in a school'. Do the same rules apply if you're not applying for a teaching job?
    2. HT has been in post this year but and joined SMT previous year. Shall I put previous HT as second referee or a manager from a job I left 5 years ago? The other manager can comment on skills that are more relevant to the job, though not on my recent work.
    3. I spoke to current HT last term about stress. There were lots of extra demands and I experienced a major life event. She suggested a few things including seeing a counsellor. I took her advice which she is aware of. This term we had a meeting and she said that I seem stressed (I am not now, relatively speaking) and this was affecting my interaction with the children. I emailed thanking her for her concern and pointing out that this type of observation was unlike any other I've had in my entire career. She responded saying that it wasn't my normal practice and was made out of concern. I meant to meet with her again to follow up on this point but time ran away from me. I need to ask her to be a referee, this week. Is it worth meeting early this week to talk through her observation then broach the subject of my resignation/reference later in the week? I feel that her comment was very serious and I am not in agreement with it. Or should I not mention anything? I don't want her to think that I'm trying to influence what she writes in my reference,
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 I have a friend who got a £80k non-education job based on an E.S. that I helped her with.

Q2 If other manager is willing, and can speak of relevant skills and experience, that seems very appropriate

Q3 I would e-mail her thanking her for the advice re: counsellor as it has proven effective and you feel less stressed. (Only say that if it's true!) Add that you are nonetheless applying for a new post in a non-teaching role, and hope that it is appropriate to have her as a referee.

Question from me: When is the new job to begin? You do realise that having (almost) missed the 29 February resignation deadline, you will not be free to begin other employment until the end of the summer term? (Official leaving date 31 August, but you are not required to be in school after end of term, so could start new post then, and get 2 salaries for a few weeks).

Best wishes

3. And100

And100 New commenter

Hello Theo
    Thanks for your response, it was very helpful.
    The job starts in September so there's plenty of time to hand in my notice.
    Thanks again :)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's good! many non-teaching jobs won't wait that long.

Best wishes