1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo : Job Application Question.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by N28, Jan 14, 2012.

1. N28

N28

I work in a school which is set to close soon. Is it alright to mention this in a job application? For example, where it is asked 'why have you applied for this position'; could I say one of the reasons is that my school is closing and I need another job.
    Many thanks.

2. N28

N28

I work in a school which is set to close soon. Is it alright to mention this in a job application? For example, where it is asked 'why have you applied for this position'; could I say one of the reasons is that my school is closing and I need another job.
    Many thanks.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not Theo, I'm afraid but on my LA forms there's usually a space on the application form to say 'Reason for leaving' where it would make sense for you to put 'school closing'.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That your school is closing is a perfectly reasonable thing to mention, whether on the form or in your statement or both. Few heads would see this as meaning anything negative about you at all and any who do are barking mad and you don't want to work with them.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, on the form do say that.
    But . . .
    A school doesn't like to think that it is just a lifeboat from a shipwreck! We like to be loved for ourselves.
    So don't forget to include the positives, what it is that attracts you to this school in the form of the contribution that you would hope to make.
    If you and your colleagues are now starting out on the Job Seeking after a little while, you probably just need to be reminded of what are the steps to be taking here, what format your application should take, etc.
    Look at this thread where in my reply to a poster, I spell it all out:
    Dear Theo I need help!
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Well said!
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

7. N28

N28

Thanks all for the good advice. Fingers crossed to get somewhere soon!