1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo. Job Application Potential Mistake!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Figmo, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Hello Theo.
    Having scrutinized your advice and attempting to follow it to the letter, now I've posted my application off I think I've ballsed it up!
    As my application required a personal statement of 'no more than 2 sides of A4' and my executive summary took up one side, I only wrote a short personal statement on one side of A4. In the first paragraph I talked about the school I was applying to and why I wanted the role, and the second paragraph some of my personal qualities and how I'm looking for a new challenge etc.
    I decided that since all the Person Spec stuff was covered in my E.S. there was no point re-iterating it all in the letter. Now I'm thinking I should have. Darn it!
    Have I scuppered my chances or do you think my lovely E.S. and personalised statement will cut it?

2. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Hello Theo.
    Having scrutinized your advice and attempting to follow it to the letter, now I've posted my application off I think I've ballsed it up!
    As my application required a personal statement of 'no more than 2 sides of A4' and my executive summary took up one side, I only wrote a short personal statement on one side of A4. In the first paragraph I talked about the school I was applying to and why I wanted the role, and the second paragraph some of my personal qualities and how I'm looking for a new challenge etc.
    I decided that since all the Person Spec stuff was covered in my E.S. there was no point re-iterating it all in the letter. Now I'm thinking I should have. Darn it!
    Have I scuppered my chances or do you think my lovely E.S. and personalised statement will cut it?

3. No point stressing over it, Just wait to see if you get an interview or not. You've learnt for future applications though, keep applying.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree, it's sent now. If you don't get invited to interview, take it as a learning experience for next time.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have a slight problem here in saying what their reaction will be, as my Crystal Ball is in for its annual check-up and servicing!
    Come on - you know that I don't know that! You just want to be reassured, don't you? And the only reassurance that I can give you that you actually want is to say Yes, that will be fine, dear.
    [​IMG]
    But actually, that's pretty much what I<u> do</u> think. I think that they may well accept it, so you can stop worrying!
    Best wishes