1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - job application help for NQT

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Nimstar, May 6, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am competing a job application for a post that I have confirmed is open to NQTs, however one part of the application form is asking applicants to list significant achievements in their teacing posts so far.
    I don't feel I have done anything significant (outside of personal development of course - I think anyone who gets up and delivers a lesson is doing something pretty significant!) but don't want to leave the section blank. Any ideas of things I can consider?
    Thanks,
    Nim

2. Dear Theo,
    I am competing a job application for a post that I have confirmed is open to NQTs, however one part of the application form is asking applicants to list significant achievements in their teacing posts so far.
    I don't feel I have done anything significant (outside of personal development of course - I think anyone who gets up and delivers a lesson is doing something pretty significant!) but don't want to leave the section blank. Any ideas of things I can consider?
    Thanks,
    Nim

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You would begin by saying that as a student who has only spent X weeks in a classroom so far, you have had fewer opportunities than will be the case in a few years' time.
    But there must have been moments when you have felt "Yay!". (Goodness this is turning blue, dunno why!) Blue and bold, in fact. Oh well.
    So try and think of those moments. When the penny dropped with a particular pupil. When the group were all on task and achieving well. When your Tutor or Mentor complimented you on your classroom management or the way that you had explained a difficult concept, or said you were well on the way to being an effective teacher.
    There will have been really good moments - try to capture them in words for this application.
    Best wishes.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The blue disappeared but the bold stayed . . . Looks as though I am shouting at you, but I am not!
    Best wishes.

5. That's fine, I don't mind you shouting, am grateful for the reply!
    Since I posted I have secured myself a job so thank you for your advice!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, no!
    You're not supposed to tag good news like that on to the end of an old thread that people may not read!
    You have to start a Brand New Thread called Dear Theo - i got that job!
    Off you go and start it now!
    Best wishes