1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - job advertised at my school, I've not resigned!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Mariecapper, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Mariecapper

Mariecapper New commenter

Hi all,
    I've just got back from holiday and seen in our local job scene that a job for a KS2 teacher is going, 1 year with a poss to go permanent. I'm full time permanent, and my head teacher knows I've been looking at and attending a couple of interviews. But I've always been very careful at saying I'm LOOKING, and have said to the deputy on numerous occasions and to the head once as well that if I don't find the right thing I won't be going anywhere.
    A few of the other teachers have seen the ad and they are wondering if the head is choosing to expand as class sizes in lower school are 34 per class and we are wondering if it's that instead - because of the wording of the ad being initially for 1 year, as that would allow for a dip in the subscription rate.

As you can imagine though I'm a bit freaked out that it's actually my job that is being advertised - I've emailed the head today just asking out of curiosity and also because I know an NQT who would be interested in the position but in my head I'm massively panicking. I believe it's only true that they can advertise your position if you formally resign by handing in a letter and telling them the words 'I'm resigning'. Can someone please confirm this for me and put my mind at rest? Also - if it does transpire that they are advertising my position, what do I do?

Thanks

2. Don't worry - they definitely cannot advertise your post without you resigning! It would be very risky for them to appoint someone just based on the fact you're looking - they could end up with 2 salaries to pay if it turns out you don't resign! It must be another reason, like you say, such as expanded classes. Do not worry - you are a in a permanent position and are allowed to go for other jobs without any risk to your current one.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, like Rowntreegirl, think it's more likely they're planning on doing some internal restructuring as they can't advertise a post which isn't yet 'vacant'!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This reminds me of a time when a teacher arrived to visit my then with a view to applying. I happened to be in the reception area when she arrived and so greeted her, etc. She informed me she was here to discuss the maternity cover position in year X with the HT. As I was the only year X teacher at the time and was very sure I wasn't pregnant, nor was I planning to leave, it did take me back a bit. I just smiled politely and said I'd get the HT. I walked into his office and asked what on earth was going on. Thankfully it was entirely an agency's mistake!

Don't need to answer, because I'd just repeat what the others have said. Just thought I'd share that immediate panic is normal, but usually not well founded.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually they can! [​IMG]
    And I've done it! [​IMG]
    In early May, when there was a risk that someone would resign end of May - I felt that I needed to cover that eventuality.
    BUT:
    a) I discussed it with the person first
    b) I was prepared to take the hit if we ended up with two of 'em. In a very large independent school with 180 employees, one extra teacher was neither here nor there Once we were interviewing for a teacher of Maths, and there were two outstanding applicants, so I appointed them both, on the grounds that an extra teacher of Maths was always useful. [​IMG]
    BUT AGAIN:
    I very much doubt that your school has extra cash sloshing around to employ two of you, and although they can advertise your post, they certainly cannot force you to resign if they were daft enough to appoint someone before you handed in your notice.
    So, as all the others have said: <u>don't worry. </u> It is either an error, or it is part of a bigger plan that you're not aware of, most certainly not a way of pushing you out.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

6. Mariecapper

So can I just verify Theo - 1) I still have a job for September because I haven't handed in my notice and 2) they cannot construe me attending interviews as me handing in my notice right?

So even if they are advertising my post they aren't forcing me to resign? Just panicking that I'm going to walk in tomorrow and find they have forced me out or sacked me because I went to an interview!

7. I think Theo has already confirmed both of those points. Now stop worrying!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that's right!
    You will leave only if you resign. You will resign only if you have another job offer.
    Everybody has already said this to you several times, just be trusting about this!
    The only way they could get rid of you is through capability procedures, and the first part of capability is helping you to improve, with the assumption that this will work and you won't leave. So advertising your post would be proving that they were not expecting you to improve. This therefore proves that they are NOT undertaking capability procedures against you.
    So they are not forcing you out.
    Trust me, trust me, honestly!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

9. Mariecapper

thanks everyone. Sorry I am a massive worrier - am trying to improve but only just got back from my wedding and it was my ambition post wedding to try to chill out more. Not making a good start am I!!!