1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: I've got a job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gaguy, Jul 14, 2011.

1. After the very disheartening experience I had in my previous job, re-applying to a job given to someone else, I found another position.
    It is only part time, but I am hoping to complete it with private tuitions and a school I worked for before, is desperate to have me back. I am in talk with them, and will see them tomorrow to see if I can take the GCSE classes on the days I won't work.
    I was really lucky as this position was given to someone else , who withdrew her application yesterday. When I found out that my school was not keeping me, I contacted this school to let them know I'd be available from September if a new position arises.I was contacted by the person in charge of the department, who told me he's keep my application on file.I thought, they only say that to be kind, but it proves that good things can happen. I met him at a training for various independent schools and he was impressed at the time by my work, over these two days. So yesterday, he contacted me, asking me if I was stil available as the person withdrew from the position, and I had the interview this morning and everything went smoothly.
    So I will start in September and I can now finally think that I am on holiday and not unemployed.
    To all jobseekers, keep hope and do send your cv and a good letter , if you want to work somewhere, you never know. Even though, it is disheartening not to get any reply. I got this job, by doing an out-of-blue application,( the previous one was the same) and another school sent me an email, saying they don't have a position but would like me to be on their supply list if I wish .I must point out that these are independent schools so I am not sure that it would be so fruitful with state schools, unless you address your application to the Head of Department.
    Good luck, and thank you, Theo, for your support and good advice.

2. Why didn't you get kept on at your original post? You might havebeen able to fight it.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!
    The first thing to do is to read this thread:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    and then bump it for other people to see.
    To other posters - don't forget that this won't do for state schools, who are not supposed to have CVs By Order Of The Government.
    Yes, but don't send it to the Head of Department, find out his/her name and send it to Mr T Griffiths, Grungy Green School. Less chance of it going straight in the bin that way.
    Although I will add that most maintained schools insist on advertising posts, and will expect you to see the ad and apply like evryone else.
    But Gaguy has done very well here, a real success.
    It sounds a very nice job - well done, and good luck with topping it up!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.