1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, I've gone majorly wobbly

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by clear_air, Apr 26, 2012.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Dear Theo,
    As you know I have an interview coming up for a job I'd (on paper) really like, and I seem to have got myself into a bit of a twiddle. I find my current boss very scary - they are one of those bosses where I never know if I'm going to get smiled upon or shouted at, so I was too intimidated to tell her to her face about my interview when I found out about it yesterday. So, as I had to email her some info today (I work part time), I put on the end of the email that I had an interview, the time, and that I wouldn't be in.
    Disaster!! I have now received a reply telling me that I have breached protocol in telling rather than asking, and that I am expected to work the morning prior to the interview and will be released at 12pm.
    I have apologised if I have not followed protocol and said that of course I will work for her school on the morning of my interview, but I feel crushed! Any advice on the professional handling of this relationship/situation would be most most welcome. I am finding 'sucking it up' increasingly difficult, and constantly aware that I need my current boss' support for my applications through her reference.
    In my heart I would really like to ask the governors for permission to leave early, but I don't want my oh to have to bear the burden of he family on his own again...etc etc
    As I said, advice from anyone here would be much appreciate, I feel all at sea, and that I am seriously going to have to sell myself on Tuesday... :-(

2. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

WOW!! Do you work for Stalin?

You already said you were sorry for not following accepted etiquette in asking for time for your interview. Surely your boss knew you were applying for jobs, so it couldn't have been a surprise that you got an interview.
    I don't think you should leave your job early. That would make it look to prospective employers that you are indeed "wobbly".
    As for your interview, go in with your head up and give it your best, you owe yourself no less. I would question your decision to work the morning of your interview. I realise you are intimidated by your boss, but you need to consider whether being released at noon will give you enough time to prepare. Is being released at noon even giving you enough time to get there? What if traffic is bad, or there is an accident or a tube strike or whatever? Do you really want to spend the hour before an interview stressed out and rushing just to get there on time? Or would it be better to arrive in the vicinity of the school an hour or two early, grab a coffee and go over your notes and lesson etc. one last time?

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Thank you tdaley for your reply - yes, I know it is much better if I can hang on in there; it's a nice enough place to work in many respects. I keep telling myself to buck up! I'm a grown woman who will be 40 in a couple of weeks, and I've weathered much worse storms than this!!
    I don't want to rock the boat any more than it is already rocked, so I shall definitely be finding out how long it will take me to get from one school to the other, worst case scenario and go from there. I think I shall phone the school where the interview is at when I leave school1, and tell them my eta. Don't see what else I can do!!
    OH back now, with his own tales of work woe, so I feel a bit better now that we've both told each other! Thanks for responding.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, let's hope you do well at the interview tomorrow, but should you not, you have learnt a valuable lesson about protocol- notify school/head as soon asyou hear next time and ask politely if it would be alright to have the time off. Ensure you leave detailed notes for anyone covering your class and generally make everything as smooth as possible for the school.
    Have added you to our Good luck/fingers crossed thread
    <h3>Interviews reminders.</h3>

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Ah, that's kind Lara.
    Yes, it's all about turning these situations into learning ones, isn't it? What must I learn? Don't be scared, be brave!! What's the worst that could happen? Isn't it so silly the way we get ourselves wound up.[​IMG] (interview on Tuesday, not tomorrow)

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How upsetting - I'm not surprised that you were feeling wobbly!
    But let's hope that the wobbling is over now, and you are on the way to preparing a superb interview that will have you back posting a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best wishes!

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Thanks for responding, I am feeling better now.
    I have planned a nice little lesson, that, at the very least should be enjoyable for the children (I hope!!), with lots of interaction, and lots of new things to learn.
    I shall give it my best shot, and remind myself that there are plenty of opportunities out there, the right school is there for me, and that I need to be, perhaps, a little more discerning in where I choose to work!!
    Thanks again. All I have to do now is look at their ofsted report, and see if there are any specific SEN questions I might be asked and think about how I might answer them!!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's the way to do it!
    All wobbles gone now.
    Best wishes