1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: I've always wanted to post this...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SecondEd1, Jul 3, 2011.

1. I got the job!!
    It's the full time position too, which means I can finally move back to Chester (where I went to uni).
    Thank you and everyone else who have posted advice for jobseekers.
    SecondEd1

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wow, well done and congratulation!. Job, full-time <u>and</u> correct location. Your cup really 'runneth over'.

3. Sort of, the funding was altered so the salary was downgraded. So Theo do you have any tips on how I can negotiate a salary at the higher end of the pay scale? Also when is best to bring this issue up and how to go about it, etc?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!

You can not be downgraded on MPS or UPS from what you are entitled to. They cannot say "You're MPS 6 but we are only paying MPS 4".
    But as for paying you higher - either as a MPS teacher or on any scale, you have little or no chance nowadays as school budgets are very tight. Sorry!
    Before you accept the job, but after they have offered it.
    In today's climate you have already done very well to get this job, so feel pleased, very pleased, with yourself!
    Good luck for September - enjoy your summer.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. I should mention it's a LSA post Theo. Too late then, as I already accepted it, I didn't feel it was right to talk about the salary over the phone, I thought it would be better face to face.

6. Yay!!! Well done!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, didn't realise LSA. I know, because I've been consideringTA posts too, that there are a number of different levels, most don't come anywhere near what you could get even on MPS1.
    Still it's a job and once in employment, people seem to do better.