1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Is this odd?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by wildrose, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Last week I sent for details of a post in an independent school. I'm attracted to the job and the school, and tempted to apply, but I already have a good job and I don't want to move just because the grass is greener - I'd have to be convinced it would be better than my current job.
    I phoned up to ask if I could pop into the school, see the department and perhaps meet one or two of the staff. I wanted to do this to help me decide whether or not to apply. The answer was, "No, you can't". I was very surprised by this and it struck me as quite bizarrely unwelcoming. I'm now in a dilemma because I don't know if I want the job or not, and I can't find out without applying for it. What do you think?

2. Last week I sent for details of a post in an independent school. I'm attracted to the job and the school, and tempted to apply, but I already have a good job and I don't want to move just because the grass is greener - I'd have to be convinced it would be better than my current job.
    I phoned up to ask if I could pop into the school, see the department and perhaps meet one or two of the staff. I wanted to do this to help me decide whether or not to apply. The answer was, "No, you can't". I was very surprised by this and it struck me as quite bizarrely unwelcoming. I'm now in a dilemma because I don't know if I want the job or not, and I can't find out without applying for it. What do you think?

3. Not odd at all... Independent schools tend not to have pre visits. You have to find out what you can through the website, google, reports etc. If you ask around each will have its own local reputation too.
    You generally find out if its the place for you at interview. I'd apply anyway..always worth it, you can then decide later if you get to interview.
    Good luck x

4. Thanks for the good luck wish LucSki.
    It's not my experience that independent schools tend not to have pre visits, any more than state schools do. I've worked in an independent school before and I went to have a look around before I applied. In fact I was invited to do so when I asked for details. I've never been to look around a state school before applying there.
    I do know the local reputation of the school and have visited it on a few occasions. What I was hoping to find out was whether I was attracted enough by the department, the teaching environment and potential colleagues to go to the trouble of applying. I have a good job already with colleagues I get on with.
    My daughter goes to another independent school in the area and I can't imagine them refusing to let a potential applicant visit - they are so warm and welcoming.
    To be honest the attitude of this school puts me off applying there.

5. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I have worked in an Independent school and they actively encouraged applicant visits - I guess all schools are different? I would question why they are so put off by the idea - but like another poster said, you will find out more on the interview day. Apply and go from there.

6. I wonder what they've got to hide!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That is just too cynical! And also just verging on the daft . . . Why should a school be trying to hide something from you?
    Just consider a situation that I was in at my independent school. To cater for retirements, maternity non-returners and expansion, I once advertised 10 posts in one week. Some posts that I advertised received more than 120 applications. If only half of the prospective applicants for these 10 posts wanted an informal visit we would not have been able to get on with the business of learning. Showing 600 people around?
    That is why most independent schools do not arrange visits. And actually, most companies do not arrange pre-application visits either. You just try ringing up any employer to ask if you could have a look-see before submitting your application!
    You use your iniatative to find out about the school. If you are shortlisted, you will get a full visit, usually individual to you, on the interview day.
    Best wishes

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's why state secondaries in general don't do it, either. As Theo has pointed out, it could lead to a school being overwhelmed by folk wanting to look round in a short space of time.
    Primaries, as they usually only advertise one post at a time, can do it.

9. "I wonder what they've got to hide" was a jokey comment, not intended to be taken seriously!!!!!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Fair enough!
    Best wishes