1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - is this legal for a C of E school?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by robyn147, May 7, 2012.

1. I want to apply for a job in a C of E school. I though teachers could opt out of leading collective worship.
    This is part of the form:
    "

• As
        a Teacher in a Church of England/Church in Wales school you are
        required to have regard to the Christian character of the school
        and its Foundation and to undertake not to do anything in any way
        contrary to the interests of the Foundation.</font>
      • You
        are required, if called upon to do so by the Headteacher, to give
        religious education in accordance with the doctrines of the Church
        of England/Church in Wales and Trust Deed of the School. You are
        required to take part in and lead acts of religious worship, if
        required by the Headteacher."</font>
    And they ask for a religious character reference too.
    I am an atheist but am prepared to support a Christian ethos whilst opting out of leading religious worship.

Is this legal?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I want to apply for a job in a C of E school. I though teachers could opt out of leading collective worship.
    This is part of the form:
    "

• As
        a Teacher in a Church of England/Church in Wales school you are
        required to have regard to the Christian character of the school
        and its Foundation and to undertake not to do anything in any way
        contrary to the interests of the Foundation.</font>
      • You
        are required, if called upon to do so by the Headteacher, to give
        religious education in accordance with the doctrines of the Church
        of England/Church in Wales and Trust Deed of the School. You are
        required to take part in and lead acts of religious worship, if
        required by the Headteacher."</font>
    And they ask for a religious character reference too.
    I am an atheist but am prepared to support a Christian ethos whilst opting out of leading religious worship.

Is this legal?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm afraid that I don't actually know about the leading Assemblies bit.
    Here is an extract from a website regarding Faith Schools:
    Teaching in faith schools
    Specific rules govern teaching roles in faith schools. Employment as a teacher in a faith school in England and Wales is governed by provisions in the School Standards and Framework Act 1998:
    &bull;The law allows preference to be given, in connection with the appointment, promotion or remuneration of teachers at voluntary aided schools and independent schools, to those whose opinions accord with the school's religious doctrine, who attend worship in accordance with that doctrine, or are willing to teach religious education in accordance with that doctrine.
    &bull;In the case of foundation or voluntary controlled schools the position is the same but the number of teachers so appointed ('reserved teachers') must be limited to one-fifth of the teaching staff.

Despite these special rules employers will have to justify any potentially discriminatory conduct using the defences available to them in the religion or belief regulations (or other legislation as appropriate).

It could be claimed that leading an Assembly is akin to teaching religious education . . . and I imagine that they will have taken advice before they put this in their documentation, and it will have, presumably, been looked over by Ofsted at some point.
    You could try contacting your union for further clarification since i am useless and no help at all.
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes.