1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, is this acceptable?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rainbowsandrain, May 11, 2012.

1. Not to mention the problem of how/where I will get the photocopying of my resources done!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Could be that the school is disorganised or some emergency came up, which set them back. At one of my interviews the Head was delayed with some parents who had to be seen, so you never know, might not be as disorganised as you think but in fact keen to respond to emergencies.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview!
    Well, it would be a great deal better if they had given you the details yesterday!
    But as long as everybody is getting them at the same time . . .
    Possibly.
    Or perhaps the Deputy who is in charge of this fell down the stairs yesterday. Or his mother died. Or they had a virus on their network which wiped all the files, and IT have been working frantically to restore everything from the back-up tapes.
    I know that in an ideal world, these type of happenings should be factored in so that they could still have sent out details yesterday, but this isn't that world!
    Do go to the Welcome thread and read the general advice in the Interview clickables.
    And then read this: * * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *
    Do read this thread too :
    Safeguarding and Child Protection - the questions, NOT the answers. (Bump it when you've finished reading it)
    Well done again on getting your interview - we look forward to you starting a brand new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best wishes

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I certainly wouldn't give a candidate so little notice and I'm 100% certain that Theo wouldn't either.
    Whether or not we might think it 'acceptable' is neither here nor there, however, as your options are (a) go along with it or (b) pull out.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Too right!
    Best wishes

6. Thanks very much for your replies. It is making me very anxious, but I suppose I'd just better man up and deal with it. There are so few jobs available now, but it does worry me that it will affect my performance at interview.

7. Just found out that the interview has been cancelled 'due to an unexpected change in the chool's curriculum planning/recruitment which makes the interview redundant'.
    What could have possibly changed from yesterday when they invited me to interview and today? I'm very disappointed and quite angry - what an appalling way to treat people.

8. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Maybe a member of staff withdrew their resignation. I know that it can get a bit complicated as the resignation date approaches and schools try to anticipate and juggle in order to avoid being without staff in the following term. Doesn't help you at all I'm afraid and so sorry, you must be very disappointed, it's an achievement just getting shortlisted.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, so frustrating! Pop along to Flowers . . . and see if there's a delivery to cheer you up.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A few years ago we had a member of staff planning to relocate and so had resigned. We were really really sorry to be losing her, but had to advertise. At the last minute (for our recruitment) her husband's new job fell through and she asked to withdraw her resignation. As we very much wanted to keep her, we had to disappoint candidates who were hoping for interviews. But to go through with them would have been a charade and so pointless.