1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Is this acceptable?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Apr 2, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I cannot believe that someone has asked this question!
    Would you expect the school to ring you up a week or a month after you had been offered and accepted the job, and say: Sorry, we've just interviewed someone else we like better. So we are withdrawing our job offer to you.
    So why do you think that you can do it?
    If you are given an offer, even verbally, and accept it, even verbally, then you have entered into a contract with the school.
    If you break that contract,
    (a) your name will be mud in a 30 mile radius.
    (b) the 2nd school might legally withdraw their offer to you, because you entered into the contract with them under false pretences (pretending thaty ou were free to enter the contract but were already contracted to another school). So you could end up with no job.
    (c) the 1st school could charge you with the cost (ads, staff time, paying travel etc) for filling the post that you turned down when breaking your contract with them.
    Go on. Just try it.
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

2. I had the very same situation when I qualified.
    Had an interview on Friday in a fantastic school (amazing NQT privileges, young staff, awesome care of staff, etc) - I didn't get the post. In the car on the way home, I had a phone call to ask if I could attend interview on Tuesday. Also had a job interview on Wednesday and Friday of the same week.
    Had the Tuesday interview and was offered it the next day, right after I'd come out of the Wednesday interview (a beacon school - another AMAZING establishment). The school I took the job with was an independent school and although I'd have preferred to be in state, I accepted.
    On the Thursday, the first Friday school rang. Although I hadn't got the inital job, someone had handed in their maternity notice so they offered me the post of covering for a year. Just hours after, the Wednesday school phoned to offer me the position.
    3 jobs offered in just 2 days... sod's law that the one I really REALLY wanted offered me it last! Still, a job was a job, so I had 4 (almost all!) happy years there, even though I really really really wanted the second school more than anything. It's just such bad practice to pull out - is it worth the risk of tarnishing your name??! News travels fast on the school grapevine...
    Even more ironically - I wish I had that situation now.. can't even seem to get an interview! I'm sorted until July on a maternity cover, but still applying for September posts (just in case the job isn't extended). There were over 500 applications for just two positions (one not NQT suitable) at a school I applied to this week - insane numbers! How anyone's supposed to stand out is just insane!
    Let's hope my ES does the trick... ;)

3. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Theo

I asked the question just out of interest as I've heard of this happening before, not because I'm in this situation. Judging by the response I'm glad I did as it seems it's a common thing. Just interested that's all! No wind up.

Thanks

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Fair enough, David!
    Nowadays people are in such a difficult situation - see the poster above - that the thought of getting more than one job offer seemd like a dream.
    Best wishes
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!